To get ready for the Super Bowl on Feb. 3, which will see the San Francisco 49ers meet (and beat if it turns out as I hope) the Baltimore Ravens, here are some tough Super Bowl trivia questions for you. If you get more than half of these right, you are doing well. Super Bowl trivia answers at the bottom.
Click here for printable Super Bowl questions and answers.
1. Jim Harbaugh isn’t just a coach and former quarterback. He’s also an actor. What sitcom did he guest star on, as himself, in the heart of his NFL career?
Free $60 in Member Super Bowl Picks
b. “Saved By The Bell”
d. “The Nanny”
2. Jim wasn’t the first pro player in the family. Jack Harbaugh, Jim and John’s brother, played one pro season in 1961 in the American Football League as a defensive back and quarterback for the franchise that is now which team?
a. Miami Dolphins
b. New England Patriots
c. New York Jets
d. Green Bay Packers
3. John Harbaugh didn’t follow his father and brother to a pro career, but he was a defensive back at the collegiate level. What current MAC school did he play at?
a. Eastern Michigan
c. Ball State
d. Miami (Ohio)
4. The Harbaugh family has three football coaches, but only one will win his first Super Bowl as a head coach this year. Which famous coaching family has the most Super Bowl victories as head coach?
5. The 49ers hold the record for most Super Bowl wins without a loss in the big game with five. They can also tie the record for most victories if they win here. Which franchise holds the record with six wins?
a. Dallas Cowboys
b. Pittsburgh Steelers
c. Green Bay Packers
d. New England Patriots
6. Another Super Bowl record held by the 49ers is the largest margin of victory. They crushed the Broncos 55-10 in Super Bowl XXIV, also held in New Orleans. Which future (though not necessarily current) Fox commentator played for the 49ers in that game?
a. Matt Millen
b. Daryl Johnston
c. Ron Pitts
d. Tim Ryan
7. When the Ravens won the 2000 Super Bowl, their only appearance in the game, Ray Lewis became only the second linebacker to be named MVP of the game. Who was the first?
a. Ted Hendricks (played for Colts, Packers and Raiders)
b. Mike Singletary (Bears)
c. Jack Lambert (Steelers)
d. Chuck Howley (Bears, Cowboys)
8. Joe Flacco is the second University of Delaware quarterback to play in the Super Bowl following Rich Gannon, who lost with the Raiders in 2002. Jim Harbaugh was an offensive assistant with the Raiders team. Which current NFL coach was the offensive coordinator?
a. Rob Chudzinski
b. Marc Trestman
c. Doug Marrone
d. Dennis Allen
9. Colin Kaepernick is the first Nevada QB to appear in the Super Bowl, but if he wins he won’t be the first Nevada superstar to win one with the 49ers. Which star defensive lineman from Nevada won one Super Bowl with the Niners and three overall?
10. Including the Ravens’ one Super Bowl victory, how many major professional football championships have been won by teams based in Baltimore?
1. b - He appeared as Screech’s cousin in 1996
2. c - He played for the Titans of New York, who later became the Jets
4. d - Don Shula with two is the only Super Bowl winning head coach on that list
6. a - Millen played two years in San Francisco before finishing his career in Washington
7. d - Howley was the MVP of Super Bowl V
9. a - Mann won two Super Bowls with Washington, then won Super Bowl XXIX in his only year in San Francisco
10. d - Besides the Ravens in 2000, the Colts won the NFL Championship in 1958 and 1959 and the Super Bowl in 1971. The Stars won the USFL in 1985. The Stallions won the Grey Cup in 1995.
Read more articles by Trevor Whenham