Colorado Avalanche vs Washington Capitals Hockey Betting Tips 10/14/2019
Monday, October 14, 2019
Capital One Arena
Get todays NHL hockey odds on this game.
Gabriel Landeskog and the Colorado Avalanche (3-0-0, 1st in the Central Division) head to Capital One Arena on Monday where they'll take on the Washington Capitals (2-1-2, 2nd in the Metropolitan Division). The Avalanche open this matchup at +118 while the Capitals are priced at -130. The O/U has been set at 6.5. The Avalanche cover 100.0% of the time, having gone 4-0 SU. The Capitals cover 50.0% of the time, going 3-3 straight up.
The Colorado Avalanche were on the right side of the scoreboard with a 4 - 2 victory over the Boston Bruins in their previous contest. The Avalanche had a solid offensive outing and it was apparent in the win. While out there on the ice, they finished 4 of the 36 shots they tried. Furthermore, they had 2 power play attempts and scored 1 goal out of those opportunities. Colorado ended up with 2 penalty minutes for this game. The Corsi for the Avalanche was 48 and the Corsi against was 44 which means they earned a Corsi percentage of 52.2%. Their Fenwick sat at 37 while the Fenwick against was 34, which means they earned a rate of 52.1%. They took 20 face-off wins and lost 31 tries to control the puck. Their offensive zone starts came in at 28.2% and they had a PDO of 103.8 in this one. Concerning opponent stats, the Boston Bruins tallied a total of 41 shots. They ended the game with 4 penalty mins and they tallied 1 power play opportunity.
Useful Team Statistics
The Avalanche have 6 total points this season, which ranks them 11th in the NHL. They are 12th in the league in goals scored with 13 while they've given up 7 goals, ranking them 27th overall. They have had 14 power play opportunities and have scored 4 goals on those chances for a percentage of 29%. That is 9th in the NHL. The Avalanche have allowed 9 power play opportunities and have given up 3 goals on those chances for a penalty kill percentage of 67%, putting them 26th in the league when short-handed. They average 33 shots per game and as a team shoot 13.00% for the season. They allow 34 shots to their opposition per contest and have a team save percentage of 93%. That puts them 6th in the league in stopping the puck.
The Washington Capitals faced off against the Nashville Predators in a game where the Capitals ended up taking the loss by a mark of 6 - 5. In this game, Washington wound up with a 39.0% Corsi rating. That percentage was had by having a Corsi of 30 while their opponent had a Corsi of 47. Their Fenwick percentage was 38.3% by way of having a Fenwick of 23 and the Predators finishing with a 37 Fenwick at even strength. These Corsi stats speak to the kind of game that Washington played and they looked good in this game. They had a PDO at even strength of 96.4 and they earned an oZS percentage of 41.9%. The Capitals scored 5 goals out of the 26 shots on goal they pursued. They had 4 power play attempts in this outing and scored 2 out of those opportunities. As for their opponent, the Predators had 4 power play chances and were able to tally 1 goal on that opportunity. Washington allowed 38 shots on goal and the Predators earned 8 minutes in the box.
Useful Team Statistics
The Capitals are 8th in the NHL with a total of 6 points this year. They have 4 power play goals on 20 opportunities for a percentage of 20%. That ranks them 19th in the league as a power play unit. They've allowed 15 power play opportunities and have given up 3 goals on those chances for a penalty kill percentage of 80%. That is 15th in the NHL. As a team, the Capitals are 8th in the league with 15 goals scored while they've given up 16 goals, which is 8th overall. They average 31 shots per contest and have a team shooting percentage of 9.74%. As a team they give up 28 shots per game and have a save percentage of 89%. That is 21st in the NHL.
Colorado is 15th in the NHL in Corsi percentage with 49.6%, as they've attempted 126 shots on net at full strength while they've given up 128 shots on net in the same situations. Their Fenwick percentage is 48.9% as they have 93 attempts while they have given up 97 shots on the defensive end. That ranks them 17th in the league. The Avalanche start possessions in the offensive zone 41.8% of the time, which is 28th in the league, while their defensive zone percentage is at 58.2% for the season. That is 4th overall in the NHL. They have 65 face-off wins compared to 79 losses, meaning their face-off win percentage is 45.1%. That ranks them 27th in the league. On defense Colorado has 41 hits and they have blocked 31 shots from the opposition, putting them 26th overall.
The Capitals are 16th in the league in starting possessions in the offensive zone, doing so 50.1% of the time. Their defensive zone percentage is at 49.9% for the season, which is 16th in the NHL. They have 116 face-off wins compared to 108 losses, meaning their face-off win percentage is 51.8%. That is 11th in the league. On defense Washington has 71 hits and they have blocked 37 shots from the opposition, which is 17th in the league. Washington is 5th in the NHL in Corsi percentage with 54.3% as they've attempted 194 shots on net at full strength while they've given up 163 shots on net in the same situations. Their Fenwick percentage of 53.5% ranks 5th as they have 145 attempts while they have given up 126 shots on the defensive end.
Who will win tonight's Avalanche/Capitals NHL game against the spread? Tony's Pick: Take Colorado Get $60 worth of FREE premium member picks. No Obligation. No Salesman. No Credit Card. Fast Sign up with Instant Access Click Here
Tony's Pick: Take Colorado
Read more articles by Tony Sink
Get all of Tonight's NHL Picks.
Get all of Tonight's guaranteed Expert NHL Picks.