St. Louis Blues vs Montreal Canadiens NHL Betting Tips 10/12/2019
Saturday, October 12, 2019
Get todays NHL hockey odds on this game.
Bell Centre is the site where Tomas Tatar and the Montreal Canadiens (1-1-2, 6th in the Atlantic Division) will play the St. Louis Blues (3-0-1, 1st in the Central Division) on Saturday. The Blues open this matchup at -116 while the Canadiens are coming in at +105. The O/U is set at 5.5. The Blues cover 75.0% of the time, having gone 3-1 SU. Montreal covers 0% of the time, going 0-3 straight up.
The St. Louis Blues had a good night with a 6 - 4 victory against the Ottawa Senators in their previous game. The Blues had a solid offensive output in this win. For this game, they netted 6 out of the 37 shots they looked to score on. Moreover, they had 4 power play chances and scored 1 goal out of those chances. St. Louis had 0 penalty minutes for this outing. The Corsi for the Blues was 49 and the Corsi against was 51 which tells us they had a Corsi percentage of 49.0%. Their Fenwick was 41 while the Fenwick against sat at 37, which means they earned a Fenwick percentage of 52.6%. They took 23 face-off wins at even strength and lost 31 attempts to control the puck. Their starts in the offensive zone were rated at 51.6% and they had a PDO at even strength of 104.2 for this game. When it comes to their opponent, the Ottawa Senators earned a total of 29 shots. They ended the game with 8 penalty mins and they earned 0 power play attempts.
Useful Team Statistics
The Blues have 7 total points this season, which ranks them 4th in the NHL. They are 11th in the league in goals scored with 14 while they've given up 11 goals, ranking them 19th overall. They have had 11 power play opportunities and have scored 2 goals on those chances for a percentage of 18%. That is 20th in the NHL. The Blues have allowed 7 power play opportunities and have given up 1 goal on those chances for a penalty kill percentage of 86%, putting them 10th in the league when short-handed. They average 30 shots per game and as a team shoot 11.76% for the season. They allow 32 shots to their opposition per contest and have a team save percentage of 91%. That puts them 12th in the league in stopping the puck.
The Montreal Canadiens went up against the Detroit Red Wings in a game where the Canadiens took the defeat by a final of 4 - 2. For this matchup, Montreal earned a 45.5% Corsi rating. They got to that percentage by earning a Corsi of 40 while the opposition earned a Corsi of 48. They had a Fenwick percentage of 36.2% by earning a Fenwick of 21 and the Red Wings finishing with a 37 Fenwick. This Corsi rating is telling of the kind of game that Montreal played and you could say that they have had better days on the ice. Their PDO at even strength was 94.8 and they earned an oZS percentage of 54.8%. The Canadiens netted 2 goals out of the 35 shots on goal they were seeking. They had 3 power play chances in this game and were able to net 1 out of those attempts. As for the opposition, the Red Wings had 2 power play chances and took advantage of the situation by scoring 1 goal on that chance. Montreal gave way to 34 shots on goal and the Red Wings ended up with a total of 6 penalty minutes.
Useful Team Statistics
The Canadiens are 15th in the NHL with a total of 4 points this year. They have 4 power play goals on 12 opportunities for a percentage of 33%. That ranks them 6th in the league as a power play unit. They've allowed 15 power play opportunities and have given up 5 goals on those chances for a penalty kill percentage of 67%. That is 22nd in the NHL. As a team, the Canadiens are 10th in the league with 14 goals scored while they've given up 17 goals, which is 4th overall. They average 35 shots per contest and have a team shooting percentage of 10.00%. As a team they give up 38 shots per game and have a save percentage of 89%. That is 20th in the NHL.
St. Louis is 30th in the NHL in Corsi percentage with 43.9%, as they've attempted 138 shots on net at full strength while they've given up 176 shots on net in the same situations. Their Fenwick percentage is 46.1% as they have 112 attempts while they have given up 131 shots on the defensive end. That ranks them 26th in the league. The Blues start possessions in the offensive zone 53% of the time, which is 10th in the league, while their defensive zone percentage is at 47% for the season. That is 22nd overall in the NHL. They have 93 face-off wins compared to 99 losses, meaning their face-off win percentage is 48.4%. That ranks them 22nd in the league. On defense St. Louis has 74 hits and they have blocked 45 shots from the opposition, putting them 8th overall.
The Canadiens are 20th in the league in starting possessions in the offensive zone, doing so 48.3% of the time. Their defensive zone percentage is at 51.7% for the season, which is 12th in the NHL. They have 89 face-off wins compared to 93 losses, meaning their face-off win percentage is 48.9%. That is 18th in the league. On defense Montreal has 73 hits and they have blocked 46 shots from the opposition, which is 3rd in the league. Montreal is 17th in the NHL in Corsi percentage with 49.3% as they've attempted 178 shots on net at full strength while they've given up 183 shots on net in the same situations. Their Fenwick percentage of 48.3% ranks 19th as they have 128 attempts while they have given up 137 shots on the defensive end.
Who will win tonight's Blues/Canadiens NHL game against the spread? Josh's Pick: Take Montreal Get $60 worth of FREE premium member picks. No Obligation. No Salesman. No Credit Card. Fast Sign up with Instant Access Click Here
Josh's Pick: Take Montreal
Get $60 worth of FREE premium member picks. No Obligation. No Salesman. No Credit Card. Fast Sign up with Instant Access Click Here
Read more articles by Josh Schonwald
Get all of Tonight's NHL Picks.
Get all of Tonight's guaranteed Expert NHL Picks.