Toronto Maple Leafs vs Columbus Blue Jackets NHL Picks & Predictions 10/4/2019
Friday, October 4, 2019
Get todays NHL hockey odds on this game.
The Toronto Maple Leafs travel to Nationwide Arena to play the Columbus Blue Jackets on Friday, October 4, 2019. The opening line for this game has the Maple Leafs at -145 and the Blue Jackets at +131.
Toronto had a record of 46-28-8 last season and on the road they had a record of 23-12-6-2. They finished 3rd in the Atlantic Division. They scored 286 goals and gave up 249 goals for a point differential of +37. For the season they had an ATS record of 46-35 and an over/under record of 40-38-4. Columbus finished with a record of 47-31-4 including 18-9-1-1 at home last season. They were 5th in the Metropolitan Division. They scored 256 goals and surrendered 231 for a goal differential of +25. Their record against the spread was 44-35 while their over/under record was 31-45-6.
Valuable Toronto Maple Leafs Betting Trends
The Toronto Maple Leafs were 46-35 straight up last year
The Toronto Maple Leafs were 40-38-4 against the over/under last season
Important Columbus Blue Jackets Betting Trends
The Columbus Blue Jackets were 44-35 straight up last year
The Columbus Blue Jackets were 31-45-6 against the over/under last season
Key Toronto Maple Leafs Injuries
10/01/19 D Travis Dermott Shoulder is out indefinitely
09/30/19 C Zach Hyman Knee IR Early Nov
Key Columbus Blue Jackets Injuries
09/30/19 C Brandon Dubinsky None is out indefinitely
Kasperi Kapanen accumulated 44 total points last season for the Maple Leafs. He had 20 goals last year with 174 shots on goal giving him a shooting percentage of 12%. He had a total of 24 assists on the season and averaged 16.6 minutes played per game. John Tavares averaged 19.1 minutes of ice time per game last year. In that time he had a shooting percentage of 16% by scoring 47 goals on 286 shots. He had 41 assists giving him a total of 88 points on the season. Frederik Andersen had 36 wins and 16 losses last season in net for the Maple Leafs. He had 1,958 shots against him and he gave up 162 goals. He made 1,796 saves for a save percentage of 92%.
Cam Atkinson scored 69 total points last year for the Blue Jackets. He had 41 goals last season with 295 shots on goal giving him a shooting percentage of 14%. He had a total of 28 assists on the season and averaged 19.4 minutes played per game. Zach Werenski averaged 22.9 minutes of ice time per game. In that time he had a shooting percentage of 7% by scoring 11 goals on 168 shots. He had 33 assists giving him a total of 44 points on the season. Joonas Korpisalo had 10 wins and 7 losses last year in goal for the Blue Jackets. He had 651 shots against him and he surrendered 67 goals. He made 584 saves for a save percentage of 90%.
Useful Team Statistics
The Maple Leafs had 100 total points last season, which ranked them 7th in the NHL. They were 4th in the league in goals scored with 286 while they gave up 249 goals, ranking them 12th overall. They had 209 power play opportunities and scored 46 goals on those chances for a percentage of 22%. That was 8th in the NHL. The Maple Leafs allowed 202 power play opportunities and gave up 41 goals on those chances for a penalty kill percentage of 80%, putting them 19th in the league when short-handed. They averaged 33 shots per game and as a team shot 10.45% for the season. They allowed 33 shots to their opposition per contest and had a team save percentage of 91%. That put them 10th in the league in stopping the puck.
Useful Team Statistics
The Blue Jackets were 13th in the NHL with a total of 98 points last year. They had 34 power play goals on 221 opportunities for a percentage of 15%. That ranked them 28th in the league as a power play unit. They allowed 200 power play opportunities and gave up 30 goals on those chances for a penalty kill percentage of 85%. That was 2nd in the NHL. As a team, the Blue Jackets were 12th in the league with 256 goals scored while they gave up 231 goals, which was 21st overall. They averaged 32 shots per contest and had a team shooting percentage of 9.88%. As a team they gave up 29 shots per game and had a save percentage of 90%. That was 18th in the NHL.
Toronto is 8th in the NHL in Corsi percentage with 51.8%, as they've attempted 5,328 shots on net at full strength while they've given up 4,960 shots on net in the same situations. Their Fenwick percentage is 50.8% as they have 3,974 attempts while they have given up 3,847 shots on the defensive end. That ranks them 11th in the league. The Maple Leafs start possessions in the offensive zone 51.3% of the time, which is 16th in the league, while their defensive zone percentage is at 48.7% for the season. That is 16th overall in the NHL. They have 2,629 face-off wins compared to 2,330 losses, meaning their face-off win percentage is 53%. That ranks them 2nd in the league. On defense Toronto has 1,421 hits and they have blocked 1,113 shots from the opposition, putting them 23rd overall.
The Blue Jackets are 11th in the league in starting possessions in the offensive zone, doing so 52% of the time. Their defensive zone percentage is at 48% for the season, which is 20th in the NHL. They have 2,434 face-off wins compared to 2,410 losses, meaning their face-off win percentage is 50.2%. That is 16th in the league. On defense Columbus has 1,741 hits and they have blocked 1,076 shots from the opposition, which is 27th in the league. Columbus is 10th in the NHL in Corsi percentage with 50.9% as they've attempted 4,572 shots on net at full strength while they've given up 4,402 shots on net in the same situations. Their Fenwick percentage of 51.7% ranks 9th as they have 3,565 attempts while they have given up 3,326 shots on the defensive end.
Who will win tonight's Maple Leafs/Blue Jackets NHL game against the spread? Tony's Pick: Take Columbus +131 Get $60 worth of FREE premium member picks. No Obligation. No Salesman. No Credit Card. Fast Sign up with Instant Access Click Here
Tony's Pick: Take Columbus +131
Read more articles by Tony Sink
Get all of Tonight's Free NHL Picks.
Get all of Tonight's Expert Expert NHL Picks.