Washington Capitals vs Dallas Stars Expert NHL Picks Against the Spread 10/12/2019
Saturday, October 12, 2019
American Airlines Center
Get todays NHL hockey odds on this game.
Tyler Seguin and the Dallas Stars (1-3-1, 5th in the Central Division) host the Washington Capitals (2-1-2, 2nd in the Metropolitan Division) at American Airlines Center on Saturday, October 12, 2019. The Capitals open this contest at +101 while the Stars are priced at -111. The total is set at 5.5. The Capitals are covering 40.0% of the time, having gone 2-3 SU. The Stars are covering 20.0% of the time, going 1-4 straight up.
The Washington Capitals were on the losing side of the ice with a 6 - 5 loss to the Nashville Predators in their last game. The Capitals had a good offensive performance and it was apparent in this loss. For this matchup, they netted 5 of the 26 shots they attempted. Moreover, they had 4 power play attempts and scored 2 goals out of those tries. Washington ended up with a total of 8 penalty mins in their game. The Corsi for the Capitals sat at 30 and the Corsi against was 47 which gave them a Corsi percentage of 39.0%. Their Fenwick was 23 and the Fenwick against was 37, which means they earned a Fenwick percentage of 38.3%. They took 25 face-off wins and lost 24 tries to control the puck. The offensive zone starts for them came in at 41.9% and they had a PDO of 96.4 for this one. With regard to the opposition's stats, the Nashville Predators earned a total of 38 shots. They finished with 8 minutes in the box and they had 4 power play chances.
Useful Team Statistics
The Capitals have 6 total points this season, which ranks them 7th in the NHL. They are 8th in the league in goals scored with 15 while they've given up 16 goals, ranking them 7th overall. They have had 20 power play opportunities and have scored 4 goals on those chances for a percentage of 20%. That is 19th in the NHL. The Capitals have allowed 15 power play opportunities and have given up 3 goals on those chances for a penalty kill percentage of 80%, putting them 14th in the league when short-handed. They average 31 shots per game and as a team shoot 9.74% for the season. They allow 28 shots to their opposition per contest and have a team save percentage of 89%. That puts them 21st in the league in stopping the puck.
The Dallas Stars squared up with the Calgary Flames in an outing where the Stars were on the wrong end of the score by a final score of 3 - 2. For this matchup, Dallas earned a 50.6% Corsi rating. They earned that percentage by having a Corsi of 43 while the opposition had a Corsi of 42. They had a Fenwick percentage of 51.6% by way of having a Fenwick of 33 and the Flames having earned a 31 Fenwick at even strength. This Corsi percentage speaks to the kind of game that Dallas played and the stats tell us that they didn't play well overall. They had a PDO of 101.0 and they earned an oZS percentage of 67.1%. The Stars scored 2 goals of the 36 shots on goal they tried. They had 4 power play attempts in this outing and were able to net 1 out of those tries. Regarding their opponent, the Flames had 2 power play opportunities and ended up scoring 1 goal on that opportunity. Dallas gave up 29 shots on goal and the Flames ended up with a total of 10 penalty mins.
Useful Team Statistics
The Stars are 20th in the NHL with a total of 3 points this year. They have 1 power play goal on 14 opportunities for a percentage of 7%. That ranks them 27th in the league as a power play unit. They've allowed 21 power play opportunities and have given up 3 goals on those chances for a penalty kill percentage of 86%. That is 11th in the NHL. As a team, the Stars are 14th in the league with 12 goals scored while they've given up 14 goals, which is 13th overall. They average 28 shots per contest and have a team shooting percentage of 8.45%. As a team they give up 29 shots per game and have a save percentage of 90%. That is 18th in the NHL.
Washington is 5th in the NHL in Corsi percentage with 54.3%, as they've attempted 194 shots on net at full strength while they've given up 163 shots on net in the same situations. Their Fenwick percentage is 53.5% as they have 145 attempts while they have given up 126 shots on the defensive end. That ranks them 4th in the league. The Capitals start possessions in the offensive zone 50.1% of the time, which is 17th in the league, while their defensive zone percentage is at 49.9% for the season. That is 15th overall in the NHL. They have 116 face-off wins compared to 108 losses, meaning their face-off win percentage is 51.8%. That ranks them 11th in the league. On defense Washington has 71 hits and they have blocked 37 shots from the opposition, putting them 16th overall.
The Stars are 16th in the league in starting possessions in the offensive zone, doing so 51.4% of the time. Their defensive zone percentage is at 48.6% for the season, which is 16th in the NHL. They have 103 face-off wins compared to 97 losses, meaning their face-off win percentage is 51.5%. That is 12th in the league. On defense Dallas has 66 hits and they have blocked 46 shots from the opposition, which is 6th in the league. Dallas is 21st in the NHL in Corsi percentage with 48.4% as they've attempted 165 shots on net at full strength while they've given up 176 shots on net in the same situations. Their Fenwick percentage of 48% ranks 21st as they have 120 attempts while they have given up 130 shots on the defensive end.
Who will win tonight's Capitals/Stars NHL game against the spread? Guy's Pick: Take Dallas Get $60 worth of FREE premium member picks. No Obligation. No Salesman. No Credit Card. Fast Sign up with Instant Access Click Here
Guy's Pick: Take Dallas
Get $60 worth of FREE premium member picks. No Obligation. No Salesman. No Credit Card. Fast Sign up with Instant Access Click Here
Read more articles by Guy Bruhn
Get all of Tonight's NHL Picks.
Get all of Tonight's guaranteed Expert NHL Picks.