Japan vs Poland Group H World Cup Picks & Predictions 6/28/2018
World Cup Group H
Thursday, June 28, 2018
Japan will play at Volgograd Arena when they take on Poland on Thursday, June 28, 2018 in a Group H matchup. The opening line for this game has Japan at +410 and Poland at -141. The total has been set at 2.5.
In this final fixture from Group H, this game will feature two strong offenses and two iffy defensive units. Poland are the favorites going into the game thanks to their slightly more talented attack, but Japan's team chemistry has seen them win as underdogs many times in the past. Expect Poland to be a bit more aggressive since they will be the more desperate team in this game.
Japan coach Akira Nishino has a tricky opponent to plan for here. He won't want to revert back to the team's old highly defensive style, but he also wants to avoid taking too many chances. You can expect them to play a bit deeper than usual since they are playing such a capable offensive team, but you can also expect Japan to use their speed to try to get behind Poland's slower-than-average defense.
Inui and the rest of the Japanese attackers will know that Poland has one of the worst defenses at the World Cup this year. Expect to see the 30-year-old attacking midfielder use his solid dribbling skills to go right at that defense and try to set up his teammates for some open chances. Inui will want to reward his coach for picking him in the starting lineup over quite a few other solid attacking options.
Poland has some lethal finishers in the front of their attack, so chances are Kawashima will be called upon multiple times in this matchup. He'll need to keep his defense in line throughout this contest and he will need to make sure he always keeps an eye on top striker Robert Lewandowski. The 35-year-old has a wealth of experience on the big stage, so expect to see a composed game from him.
You can be sure that Poland's going to push players forward and try to overwhelm the Japanese defense in this game. They have multiple forwards who can score at will, and they will want to keep possession for long spells to keep their defensive mistakes to a minimum. If they can get down near goal and put some crosses in the box, Poland has a great chance of winning this game.
Japan definitely has some speed in its team, but they don't have anyone who can keep up with Poland winger Grosicki. The 30-year-old loves to run at defenders and he seems to always known where Robert Lewandowski is in the box. You can expect Poland to get the ball to Grosicki early and often to put a lot of pressure on Japan's back line.
The PSG defensive midfielder showed in the opening fixture against Senegal that he can score the odd goal for his country, but his main job in this one will be to slow Japan's attack down and get the ball back for his offense. He's got great size and mobility, allowing him to break up plays in the midfield and help out his defense in the box.
Key Japan Injuries
No key injuries to report
Key Poland Injuries
No key injuries to report
Who will win tonight's Japan/Poland World Cup game against the spread?
Tony's Pick: Take Japan +410
Get $60 worth of FREE premium member picks. No Obligation. No Salesman. No Credit Card. Fast Sign up with Instant Access Click Here
Read more articles by Tony Sink
Get all of Today's Soccer Picks
Get all of Today's Guaranteed Expert Soccer Picks
Most Recent Soccer Picks
- Seattle Sounders FC vs Real Salt Lake Prediction, 6/23/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- New England Revolution vs New York Red Bulls Prediction, 6/23/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Philadelphia Union vs Columbus Crew Prediction, 6/23/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- New York City FC vs Atlanta United FC Prediction, 6/23/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Nashville SC vs Toronto FC Prediction, 6/23/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Minnesota United FC vs Austin FC Prediction, 6/23/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Los Angeles FC vs FC Dallas Prediction, 6/23/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Vancouver Whitecaps FC vs LA Galaxy Prediction, 6/23/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Sporting KC vs Colorado Rapids Prediction, 6/23/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Houston Dynamo vs Portland Timbers Prediction, 6/23/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds