Switzerland vs Costa Rica Group E World Cup Picks & Predictions 6/27/2018
World Cup Group E
Wednesday, June 27, 2018
Nizhny Novgorod Stadium
Switzerland will play at Nizhny Novgorod Stadium when they take on Costa Rica on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 in a Group E matchup. The opening line for this game has Switzerland at -125 and Costa Rica at +390. The total has been set at 2.25.
Switzerland and Costa Rica will both be desperate to get all three points in this Group E matchup, so it should be a very entertaining game to watch for neutral fans. Both teams play excellent team football at times, but that desperation should open up some holes and create opportunities for both offenses. Switzerland comes in as slight favorites, but both teams have a great chance of coming away with all three points.
You can expect Switzerland to be a bit more aggressive than they usually are in this game. They might come out of the gates a bit slow, but coach Vladimir Petkovic will probably instruct his players to push forward to up the chances of them getting some scoring chances. They do have a slightly better midfield, and if they can win that battle in the middle of the pitch, they have a very good chance of pulling off the win.
Zuber isn't one of the more well-known Swiss players, but his teammates surely know how important he is to the squad. The 26-year-old winger is one of the best passers on this Switzerland team and he's one of those rare wingers who seems to love tracking back and helping out on the defensive end of the pitch.
Rodriguez seems to always play a big part against teams like Costa Rica. The left back loves getting forward as much as he loves winning headers in his own box. You can also expect him to step up and take some free kicks, whether for crossing the ball into the box or to take the shot on his own. The 25-year-old is definitely a player you should keep your eye on in this game.
Because of their conservative approach, Costa Rica is often limited to just a few good chances a game. If they want to beat the Swiss, they will need to be a bit more aggressive. They do have some good attackers who score regularly for their clubs, but the question will be whether or not they will get enough chances against this Swiss team.
Head coach Oscar Ramirez has other talented forwards on his bench, but he likes to go with Urena because of his relentlessness on the press. Every time the Swiss defenders have the ball, expect this speedy forward to chase them down and try to force them to make mistakes. He also has about 15 goals for Mexico in his career, so he could have a pretty big impact on this game.
Acosta is the leader of this Costa Rican defense, so it will be his job to keep everyone organized when the Swiss are moving forward. This will probably be the veteran defender's last World Cup, so you can be sure that he will keep his teammates in line. Some will worry that he doesn't have the pace to keep up with some of Switzerland's quicker forwards, though.
Key Switzerland Injuries
No key injuries to report
Key Costa Rica Injuries
No key injuries to report
Who will win tonight's Switzerland/Costa Rica World Cup game against the spread?
Tony's Pick: Take Switzerland -125
Read more articles by Tony Sink
Get all of Today's Soccer Picks
Get all of Today's Guaranteed Expert Soccer Picks
Most Recent Soccer Picks
- FSV Mainz 05 vs RB Leipzig Prediction, 1/23/2021 Bundesliga Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Athletic Bilbao vs Getafe Prediction, 1/25/2021 La Liga Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Osasuna vs Granada Prediction, 1/24/2021 La Liga Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Celta Vigo vs Eibar Prediction, 1/24/2021 La Liga Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Bayer Leverkusen vs VfL Wolfsburg Prediction, 1/23/2021 Bundesliga Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Arminia Bielefeld vs Eintracht Frankfurt Prediction, 1/23/2021 Bundesliga Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Alaves vs Real Madrid Prediction, 1/23/2021 La Liga Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Elche vs Barcelona Prediction, 1/24/2021 La Liga Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Atlético Madrid vs Valencia Prediction, 1/24/2021 La Liga Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Monchengladbach vs Borussia Dortmund Prediction, 1/22/2021 Bundesliga Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds