Uruguay vs France World Cup Picks and Predictions 7/6/2018
World Cup Quarterfinals
Friday, July 6, 2018
Nizhny Novgorod Stadium
Uruguay will play at Nizhny Novgorod Stadium when they take on France on Friday, July 6, 2018 in a World Cup quarterfinals matchup. The opening line for this game has Uruguay at +333 and France at -105. The total has been set at 2.5.
This quarterfinals matchup will feature two teams that have yet to lose in the tournament. France was able to defeat Lionel Messi's Argentina 4-3 in one of the most entertaining matches of the World Cup so far, while Uruguay held on to defeat Ronaldo's Portugal 2-1 in their round of 16 match. France comes into this matchup as favorites, but Uruguay certainly has the offensive firepower to pull off the win on Friday afternoon.
Uruguay was completely willing to sit back and allow Portugal to dominate possession last round, and you can expect them to have a similar strategy against France. Of course, France is an all-around more talented team than Portugal, so it might be risky to allow France to see too much of the ball. Uruguay's best players are their forwards, so they will need to find a way to get their stars the ball as often as possible to put a lot of pressure on France's defense.
The 31-year-old striker had one of the best games of his international career against Portugal by scoring both of his country's goals. He's going to need to be the target man again against France in this one, but he is going to be going up against a much better defensive squad. If he can work hard and get into good spots for crosses, Uruguay will have a real chance of winning this game.
France has good speed and size in their team, so Muslera will know that he is going to have to come up big in goal for his country to move on in this tournament. The 31-year-old keeper has over 100 caps now, and that experience should be able to help him calm his nerves.
Compared to their group stage matches, France took a slightly different approach against Argentina. They allowed them to have possession, but they also played tough, pressing defense to keep them off guard. We might see a similar approach against Uruguay since their overall team makeup is similar to Argentina's. France does have the better midfield in this matchup, so they will expect to win the battles in the middle of the pitch.
The 19-year-old striker was amazing against Argentina. He set up his country's first goal by bursting into the penalty area and getting taken down, and then he chipped in two goals of his own. Mbappe's job will be to give Uruguay's defenders' headaches with his pace and then either go for goal himself or find his teammates near goal.
It has to be said that Paul Pogba didn't have as much of an impact against Argentina as many people expected him to have, but he still made key passes and did get back to help out on defense. The star midfielder will need to be at his best against Uruguay, especially when they sit back in defense since his country will be relying on his pinpoint passing to get past it.
Key Uruguay Injuries
No key injuries to report
Key France Injuries
No key injuries to report
Who will win tonight's Uruguay/France World Cup game against the spread?
Tony's Pick: Take Uruguay +333
Get $60 worth of FREE premium member picks. No Obligation. No Salesman. No Credit Card. Fast Sign up with Instant Access Click Here
Read more articles by Tony Sink
Get all of Today's Soccer Picks
Get all of Today's Guaranteed Expert Soccer Picks
Most Recent Soccer Picks
- FC Cincinnati vs Colorado Rapids Prediction, 6/19/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Real Salt Lake vs Vancouver Whitecaps FC Prediction, 6/18/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Atlanta United FC vs Philadelphia Union Prediction, 6/20/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Toronto FC vs Orlando City SC Prediction, 6/19/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Los Angeles FC vs Houston Dynamo Prediction, 6/19/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Portland Timbers vs Sporting KC Prediction, 6/19/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- LA Galaxy vs Seattle Sounders FC Prediction, 6/19/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Austin FC vs San Jose Earthquakes Prediction, 6/19/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- FC Dallas vs Minnesota United FC Prediction, 6/19/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- New York City FC vs New England Revolution Prediction, 6/19/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds