Japan vs Scotland World Cup Picks & Predictions 6/14/2019
Women's World Cup
Friday, June 14, 2019
Japan will play at Roazhon Park when they take on Scotland on Friday, June 14, 2019 in a Women's World Cup matchup. The opening line for this game has Japan at -124 and Scotland at +399. The draw has been set at +250.
On Friday morning, highly ranked Japan will try to get more from their offense when they go up against Scotland in Group D play. Japan had an underwhelming performance against Argentina in their opening fixture, which finished with a 0-0 scoreline. Scotland played well in their 2-1 defeat against England on Sunday, but they'll know that they'll probably need a win in this match to have a chance at advancing. This young Japanese team will be the favorites, but they'll need to play quite a bit better than they did on Monday to take all three points.
As good as Japan is, it's important to keep in mind that they have not won a match since way back in March. It's true that most of the teams they faced after that were very highly ranked, but that scoreless draw against Argentina will worry some of their supporters. They will want all of their young stars to step up and perform in this game against Scotland to get them back on the right track and, of course, to move up the Group D table.
Related : How to Bet on Soccer
Key Players for Japan:
Aya Sameshima - Most people are talking about the youth of this Japanese team and how they're one to watch in the present and the future, but they'll need veteran full back Sameshima to step up in games like this one if they're going to go far in this World Cup. She has one World Cup goal to her name and she was on the team that won the tournament back in 2011.
Saki Kumagai - As the captain of the team, it will be Kumagai's to help this young team get back on track. The veteran defender has 51 caps to her name now, so she will be looked to for leadership from coach Asako Takakura. Her hope will be to help her team gets its first clean sheet in almost two months.
Everyone knew this would be a very tough group for Scotland to get through, but if they keep performing like they did against England, they do have a chance to make it to the knockout stages. They'll need to be cautious against Japan's speed, but it wouldn't be surprising if they picked up a point in this one if they continue to play good team defense.
Key Players for Scotland:
Kim Little - Having won the title with Arsenal, Little will be hoping that her domestic successes will translate to the national stage. The midfielder was excellent during qualifications, scoring three key goals in six games. Japan's defense hasn't been as strong lately, so Little will want to be aggressive whenever she has the ball at her feet.
Claire Emslie - After scoring two goals in qualifications, Emslie kept her hot streak going by scoring another against England earlier this week. The 25-year-old will want to continue to be aggressive in this game against Japan to give her country a better shot of staying near the top of the group.Who will win tonight's Japan/Scotland World Cup game against the spread?
Tony's Pick: Take Japan -124
Get $60 worth of FREE premium member picks. No Obligation. No Salesman. No Credit Card. Fast Sign up with Instant Access Click Here
Read more articles by Tony Sink
Get all of Today's Soccer Picks
Get all of Today's Guaranteed Expert Soccer Picks
Most Recent Soccer Picks
- Philadelphia Union vs Toronto FC Prediction, 8/4/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- New England Revolution vs Nashville SC Prediction, 8/4/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Portland Timbers vs San Jose Earthquakes Prediction, 8/4/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Seattle Sounders FC vs FC Dallas Prediction, 8/4/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Columbus Crew vs D.C. United Prediction, 8/4/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- New York Red Bulls vs FC Cincinnati Prediction, 8/4/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Austin FC vs Houston Dynamo Prediction, 8/4/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Orlando City SC vs Inter Miami CF Prediction, 8/4/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Chicago Fire vs New York City FC Prediction, 8/4/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- CF Montreal vs Atlanta United FC Prediction, 8/4/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds