Montreal Canadiens at Colorado Avalanche NHL Picks & Predictions 2/14/2018
Wednesday, February 14, 2018
Get todays NHL hockey odds on this game.
The Montreal Canadiens head to Pepsi Center to take on the Colorado Avalanche on Wednesday, February 14, 2018. The opening line for this contest has the Canadiens at +109 and the Avalanche at -120.
Montreal has a record of 22-26-7 this year and away from home they have a record of 8-16-1-1. They are 6th in the Atlantic Division. They have tallied 144 goals and surrendered 172 goals for a point differential of -28. For the year they have an ATS mark of 22-33-0 and an over/under record of 23-30-0. Colorado has a record of 30-21-4 including 19-7-1-0 on home ice this year. They are 6th in the Central Division. They've scored 174 goals and have given up 163 for a goal differential of +11. Their record against the spread is 30-25-0 while their over/under mark is 30-23-0.
Valuable Montreal Canadiens Betting Trends
The Montreal Canadiens are 22-33-0 straight up this year
The Montreal Canadiens are 23-30-0 against the over/under this season
Important Colorado Avalanche Betting Trends
The Colorado Avalanche are 30-25-0 straight up this year
The Colorado Avalanche are 30-23-0 against the over/under this season
Key Montreal Canadiens Injuries
12/18/17 D Shea Weber Foot IR (12/17)
10/22/17 RW Ales Hemsky Concussion IR (10/20)
01/25/18 LW Phillip Danault Concussion IR (01/12)
01/15/18 RW Andrew Shaw Lower Body IR (01/14)
Key Colorado Avalanche Injuries
12/18/17 D Sergei Boikov Shoulder is out indefinitely
11/19/17 C Vladislav Kamenev Arm IR (11/16)
02/11/18 LW Blake Comeau Upper Body is "?" Wednesday vs Montreal
01/31/18 C Nathan MacKinnon Upper Body is out indefinitely
01/30/18 D Mark Barberio Lower Body IR (01/24)
01/16/18 RW Sven Andrighetto Leg IR (01/01)
Brendan Gallagher has scored 32 total points this year for the Canadiens. He has 20 goals this season with 179 shots on net, giving him a shooting percentage of 11%. He has a total of 12 assists on the year and averages 15.5 minutes played per contest. Max Pacioretty averages 19.2 minutes of ice time per game this season. In that time he has a shooting percentage of 8% by tallying 16 goals on 198 attempts. He has 17 assists, giving him a total of 33 points on the year. Carey Price has 15 wins and 20 losses this season in goal for the Canadiens. He has 1,214 shots against him and he's surrendered 113 goals. He's made 1,101 stops for a save percentage of 91%.
Mikko Rantanen has 52 total points this season for the Avalanche. He has 17 goals this year with 124 shots on goal, giving him a shooting percentage of 14%. He has a total of 35 assists on the year and averages 18.5 minutes played per contest. Nathan MacKinnon averages 19.3 minutes of ice time per contest. In that time he has a shooting percentage of 15% by scoring 24 goals on 164 attempts. He has 37 assists, giving him a total of 61 points on the year. Semyon Varlamov has 13 wins and 11 losses this season in net for the Avalanche. He has 891 shots against him and he's given up 80 goals. He's made 811 saves for a save percentage of 91%.
Useful Team Statistics
The Canadiens have 51 total points this year, which is 26th in the NHL. They've scored 144 goals while giving up 172 scores, which has them ranked 28th and 8th respectively. They have had 167 power play chances and scored 36 goals on those opportunities for a percentage of 22%. That is 10th in the league. The Canadiens have given up 175 power play opportunities and surrendered 38 goals on those chances for a penalty kill percentage of 78%, ranking them 24th when short-handed. They average 34 shots per contest and as a team shoot 7.75% for the year. They allow 32 shot attempts to their opposition per game and have a team save percentage of 90%, which is 24th in the league.
Useful Team Statistics
The Avalanche are 17th in the league with a total of 64 points this season. They have 40 power play goals on 206 chances for a percentage of 19%. That is 18th in the NHL. They've given up 194 power play opportunities and surrendered 32 goals on those chances for a penalty kill percentage of 84%, ranking 4th overall. As a team, the Avalanche are 9th with a total of 174 goals scored while they've given up 163 goals this season, ranking 15th in goals against. They average 30 shots per game and have a team shooting percentage of 10.71%. As a unit they give up 33 shots per contest and have a save percentage of 91%, putting them 15th overall in the NHL.
Montreal has a Corsi percentage of 50.7% as they've tried 3,421 shots on goal while at full strength while they have surrendered 3,326 shots on net when they have a full team on the ice. That ranks them 12th in Corsi percentage. They are 13th in the NHL in Fenwick percentage with 51% as they have 2,496 shots while they've given up 2,397 attempts on defense. The Canadiens start possessions in the offensive zone 52.6% of the time while their defensive zone percentage is at 47.4% for the year. That puts them 7th and 24th in the league in zone percentages respectively. They have 1,631 face-off wins as opposed to 1,787 losses, meaning their face-off win percentage is 47.7%. That is 27th overall in the NHL. On defense Montreal has 1,430 hits and they've blocked 929 attempts from opposing offenses, which is 1st in the league.
The Avalanche start possessions in the offensive zone 48.6% of the time while their defensive zone percentage is at 51.4% for the year. That ranks them 23rd and 8th respectively in the NHL. They have 1,445 face-off wins as opposed to 1,842 losses, meaning their face-off win percentage is 44%. That is 31st in the league. On defense Colorado has 1,069 hits and they've blocked 850 attempts from opposing offenses, ranking them 12th in blocked shots. Colorado is ranked 27th in Corsi percentage with 47.3% as they've tried 2,985 shots on goal while at full strength while they have surrendered 3,326 shots on net when they have a full team on the ice. Their Fenwick percentage is 27th in the NHL at 47.2%, as they have 2,214 shots while they've given up 2,476 attempts on defense.
Who will win tonight's Canadiens/Avalanche NHL game against the spread? Guy's Pick: Take Montreal +109 Get $60 worth of FREE premium member picks. No Obligation. No Salesman. No Credit Card. Fast Sign up with Instant Access Click Here
Guy's Pick: Take Montreal +109
Read more articles by Guy Bruhn
Get all of Tonight's NHL Picks.
Get all of Tonight's guaranteed Expert NHL Picks.