Columbus Blue Jackets at Boston Bruins Game 5 Betting Tips and Predictions 5/4/2019
Saturday, May 4, 2019
Get todays NHL hockey odds on this game.
The Columbus Blue Jackets head to TD Garden to take on the Boston Bruins on Saturday in Game 5 of their series. The series is tied 2-2 after Boston took Game 4 by a score of 4-1. Patrice Bergeron had 2 goals and Tuuka Rask stopped 39 shots to help give Boston back home ice advantage. The opening line for this contest has the Blue Jackets at +120 and the Bruins at -140.
Columbus had a record of 47-31-4 this year. They were 5th in the Metropolitan Division. They've tallied 256 goals and surrendered 231 goals for a point differential of +25. For the year they have an ATS mark of 53-36-0 and an over/under record of 33-50-0. Boston had a regular season record of 49-24-9. They were 2nd in the Atlantic Division. They have scored 257 goals and given up 212 for a goal differential of +45. Their record against the spread is 54-38-0 while their over/under mark is 38-50-0.
Valuable Columbus Blue Jackets Betting Trends
The Columbus Blue Jackets are 53-36-0 straight up this year
The Columbus Blue Jackets are 33-50-0 against the over/under this season
Important Boston Bruins Betting Trends
The Boston Bruins are 54-38-0 straight up this year
The Boston Bruins are 38-50-0 against the over/under this season
Key Columbus Blue Jackets Injuries
05/02/19 D Markus Nutivaara Upper Body is questionable Saturday vs Boston
05/02/19 C Riley Nash Upper Body is questionable Saturday vs Boston
04/27/19 D Adam McQuaid Concussion is questionable Saturday vs Boston
02/21/19 D Ryan Murray Upper Body is out indefinitely
Key Boston Bruins Injuries
04/27/19 D John Moore Upper Body is questionable Saturday vs Columbus
04/20/19 D Kevan Miller Lower Body is out indefinitely
Artemi Panarin has scored 87 total points this year for the Blue Jackets. He has 28 goals this season with 191 shots on net, giving him a shooting percentage of 15%. He has a total of 59 assists on the year and averages 19.9 minutes played per contest. Oliver Bjorkstrand averages 12.3 minutes of ice time per game this season. In that time he has a shooting percentage of 14% by tallying 23 goals on 161 attempts. He has 13 assists, giving him a total of 36 points on the year. Sergei Bobrovsky has 37 wins and 24 losses this season in goal for the Blue Jackets. He has 1,756 shots against him and he's surrendered 153 goals. He's made 1,603 stops for a save percentage of 91%.
Brad Marchand has 100 total points this season for the Bruins. He has 36 goals this year with 231 shots on goal, giving him a shooting percentage of 16%. He has a total of 64 assists on the year and averages 19.6 minutes played per contest. David Pastrnak averages 18.8 minutes of ice time per contest. In that time he has a shooting percentage of 16% by scoring 38 goals on 235 attempts. He has 43 assists, giving him a total of 81 points on the year. Tuukka Rask has 27 wins and 13 losses this season in net for the Bruins. He has 1,245 shots against him and he's given up 109 goals. He's made 1,136 saves for a save percentage of 91%.
Useful Team Statistics
The Blue Jackets have 98 total points this year, which is 13th in the NHL. They've scored 256 goals while giving up 231 scores, which has them ranked 12th and 21st respectively. They have had 221 power play chances and scored 34 goals on those opportunities for a percentage of 15%. That is 28th in the league. The Blue Jackets have given up 200 power play opportunities and surrendered 30 goals on those chances for a penalty kill percentage of 85%, ranking them 2nd when short-handed. They average 32 shots per contest and as a team shoot 9.88% for the year. They allow 29 shot attempts to their opposition per game and have a team save percentage of 90%, which is 18th in the league.
Useful Team Statistics
The Bruins are 2nd in the league with a total of 107 points this season. They have 65 power play goals on 251 chances for a percentage of 26%. That is 3rd in the NHL. They've given up 244 power play opportunities and surrendered 49 goals on those chances for a penalty kill percentage of 80%, ranking 16th overall. As a team, the Bruins are 11th with a total of 257 goals scored while they've given up 212 goals this season, ranking 28th in goals against. They average 33 shots per game and have a team shooting percentage of 9.59%. As a unit they give up 29 shots per contest and have a save percentage of 91%, putting them 7th overall in the NHL.
Columbus is 10th in the NHL in Corsi percentage with 50.9%, as they've attempted 4,572 shots on net at full strength while they've given up 4,402 shots on net in the same situations. Their Fenwick percentage is 51.7% as they have 3,565 attempts while they have given up 3,326 shots on the defensive end. That ranks them 9th in the league. The Blue Jackets start possessions in the offensive zone 52% of the time, which is 11th in the league, while their defensive zone percentage is at 48% for the season. That is 20th overall in the NHL. They have 2,434 face-off wins compared to 2,410 losses, meaning their face-off win percentage is 50.2%. That ranks them 16th in the league. On defense Columbus has 1,741 hits and they have blocked 1,076 shots from the opposition, putting them 27th overall.
The Bruins are 7th in the league in starting possessions in the offensive zone, doing so 53.5% of the time. Their defensive zone percentage is at 46.5% for the season, which is 25th in the NHL. They have 2,454 face-off wins compared to 2,385 losses, meaning their face-off win percentage is 50.7%. That is 10th in the league. On defense Boston has 1,876 hits and they have blocked 1,050 shots from the opposition, which is 28th in the league. Boston is 6th in the NHL in Corsi percentage with 52.6% as they've attempted 4,846 shots on net at full strength while they've given up 4,374 shots on net in the same situations. Their Fenwick percentage of 52.9% ranks 5th as they have 3,732 attempts while they have given up 3,324 shots on the defensive end.
Who will win tonight's Blue Jackets/Bruins NHL game against the spread?
Guy's Pick: Take Columbus +120
Get $60 worth of FREE premium member picks. No Obligation. No Salesman. No Credit Card. Fast Sign up with Instant Access Click Here
Read more articles by Guy Bruhn
Get all of Tonight's Free NHL Picks.
Get all of Tonight's Expert Expert NHL Picks.