Tampa Bay Lightning vs Ottawa Senators Hockey Betting Tips and Predictions 10/12/2019
Saturday, October 12, 2019
Canadian Tire Centre
Get todays NHL hockey odds on this game.
Ondrej Palat and the Tampa Bay Lightning (2-1-1, 4th in the Atlantic Division) travel to Canadian Tire Centre on Saturday where they'll take on the Ottawa Senators (0-3-0, 8th in the Atlantic Division). The Lightning open this game at -260 while the Senators are priced at +231. The over/under opens at 6.5. The Lightning cover 50.0% of the time, having gone 2-2 SU. The Senators cover 0% of the time, going 0-3 straight up.
The Tampa Bay Lightning were on the winning side of the scoreboard with a 7 - 3 victory against the Toronto Maple Leafs their last time out. The Lightning had a solid offensive outing and it was apparent in this victory. For this outing, they netted 7 out of the 33 shots they looked to score on. Additionally, they had 3 power play attempts and were able to net 2 goals out of those tries. Tampa Bay earned 4 penalty mins while out there on the ice. The Corsi for the Lightning was 40 and the Corsi against was 47 telling us they have a Corsi percentage of 46.0%. Their Fenwick sat at 31 and the Fenwick against was 29, which earned them a rate of 51.7%. They took 17 face-off wins and were beaten on 24 of the face-offs. Their offensive zone starts were rated at 61.9% and they had a PDO of 111.2 for this one. When it comes to their opponent, the Toronto Maple Leafs racked up 28 shots. They ended the game with 6 minutes in the box and they earned 2 power play opportunities.
Useful Team Statistics
The Lightning have 5 total points this season, which ranks them 12th in the NHL. They are 3rd in the league in goals scored with 18 while they've given up 13 goals, ranking them 14th overall. They have had 11 power play opportunities and have scored 4 goals on those chances for a percentage of 36%. That is 5th in the NHL. The Lightning have allowed 14 power play opportunities and have given up 5 goals on those chances for a penalty kill percentage of 64%, putting them 28th in the league when short-handed. They average 28 shots per game and as a team shoot 16.22% for the season. They allow 34 shots to their opposition per contest and have a team save percentage of 91%. That puts them 17th in the league in stopping the puck.
The Ottawa Senators faced off against the St. Louis Blues in a game where the Senators ended up losing by a score of 6 - 4. In this outing, Ottawa earned a 51.0% Corsi rating. They got to that percentage by earning a Corsi of 51 while their opponent had a Corsi of 49. Their Fenwick percentage was 47.4% by notching a Fenwick of 37 and the Blues ending the game with a 41 Fenwick at even strength. These Corsi stats tell us the story of the kind of game Ottawa had and they put on a good performance in this one. They had a PDO of 95.8 and they earned an oZS percentage of 48.4%. The Senators netted 4 goals out of the 29 shots on goal they tried. They had 0 power play chances in this outing but didn't score a goal. As for their opponent, the Blues had 4 power play chances and were able to tally 1 goal on that try. Ottawa conceded 37 shots on goal and the Blues has no penalty minutes.
Useful Team Statistics
The Senators are 29th in the NHL with a total of 0 points this year. They have 0 power play goals on 8 opportunities. That ranks them 28th in the league as a power play unit. They've allowed 12 power play opportunities and have given up 4 goals on those chances for a penalty kill percentage of 67%. That is 23rd in the NHL. As a team, the Senators are 25th in the league with 8 goals scored while they've given up 15 goals, which is 8th overall. They average 29 shots per contest and have a team shooting percentage of 9.20%. As a team they give up 36 shots per game and have a save percentage of 86%. That is 25th in the NHL.
Tampa Bay is 28th in the NHL in Corsi percentage with 45.3%, as they've attempted 135 shots on net at full strength while they've given up 163 shots on net in the same situations. Their Fenwick percentage is 45.1% as they have 97 attempts while they have given up 118 shots on the defensive end. That ranks them 28th in the league. The Lightning start possessions in the offensive zone 44% of the time, which is 26th in the league, while their defensive zone percentage is at 56% for the season. That is 6th overall in the NHL. They have 94 face-off wins compared to 95 losses, meaning their face-off win percentage is 49.7%. That ranks them 13th in the league. On defense Tampa Bay has 63 hits and they have blocked 45 shots from the opposition, putting them 7th overall.
The Senators are 8th in the league in starting possessions in the offensive zone, doing so 54.4% of the time. Their defensive zone percentage is at 45.6% for the season, which is 24th in the NHL. They have 78 face-off wins compared to 60 losses, meaning their face-off win percentage is 56.5%. That is 3rd in the league. On defense Ottawa has 75 hits and they have blocked 33 shots from the opposition, which is 22nd in the league. Ottawa is 23rd in the NHL in Corsi percentage with 46.7% as they've attempted 127 shots on net at full strength while they've given up 145 shots on net in the same situations. Their Fenwick percentage of 44.6% ranks 30th as they have 90 attempts while they have given up 112 shots on the defensive end.
Who will win tonight's Lightning/Senators NHL game against the spread? Guy's Pick: Take Tampa Bay Get $60 worth of FREE premium member picks. No Obligation. No Salesman. No Credit Card. Fast Sign up with Instant Access Click Here
Guy's Pick: Take Tampa Bay
Get $60 worth of FREE premium member picks. No Obligation. No Salesman. No Credit Card. Fast Sign up with Instant Access Click Here
Read more articles by Guy Bruhn
Get all of Tonight's NHL Picks.
Get all of Tonight's guaranteed Expert NHL Picks.