France vs Argentina World Cup Picks and Predictions 6/30/2018
World Cup Round of 16
Saturday, June 30, 2018
France will play at Kazan Arena when they take on Argentina on Saturday, June 30, 2018 in a Round of 16 matchup. The opening line for this game has France at +130 and Argentina at +197. The total has been set at 2.
After barely getting through to this round, Argentina will try to show why they were one of the World Cup favorites when they take on France in the round of 16. France will be looking to put in another strong defensive performance after only giving up a total of one goal in Group C play. France are the favorites going into this matchup with Argentina, but the result will probably come down to whose superstar forwards step up and perform in this game.
Many people assumed that Frances elite attack would be what propelled them through Group C, but it was actually their team defense. They only ended up with a total of three goals in three games, which is a worry, but they never really had to worry about losing their place in the round of 16. In this game against Argentina, France will need to continue to have everyone playing at a high defensive level, but they'll also need one of their star forwards to step up and do some damage if they want to move forward.
Griezmann has not been at his best in this World Cup so far, but he has far too much talent to stay cold for long periods of time. Look for the 27-year-old forward to run right at that Argentina defense and either create a goal for himself or find a teammate with his excellent passing abilities.
Argentina's offense was pretty poor during their group stage matches, but Varane and the other French defenders will know that they will be facing an attack that can pour in goals when they get it going. The 25-year-old Real Madrid center back is one of the best young defenders in the world and he will need to play that way if France wants to keep the Argentina attack in check.
Argentina had a rough group stage, to say the least. They were in last place in Group D until the final match, but they were able to get a very late winner to finish in second place behind Croatia. They'll be on a bit of a high coming into this game after pulling off that near-miracle, and that could be enough to get them back on track and play well against France. Head coach Jorge Sampaoli will need to come up with a better game plan in this matchup, though, since they will be going up against some great talent.
Everyone knows that Argentina is only going to go as far as Messi takes them in this tournament. The superstar forward did put in a crucial goal in that final group stage game, but he'll probably need to take his game to the next level if Argentina is going to have a chance against this tough French side.
After scoring the goal that put Argentina through and playing sound defense throughout the group stages, the Manchester United center back will be counted on once again to be the rock in Argentina's defense against France.
Key France Injuries
No key injuries to report
Key Argentina Injuries
No key injuries to report
Who will win tonight's France/Argentina World Cup game against the spread?
Tony's Pick: Take France +130
Get $60 worth of FREE premium member picks. No Obligation. No Salesman. No Credit Card. Fast Sign up with Instant Access Click Here
Read more articles by Tony Sink
Get all of Today's Soccer Picks
Get all of Today's Guaranteed Expert Soccer Picks
Most Recent Soccer Picks
- Atlanta United FC vs Philadelphia Union Prediction, 6/20/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- FC Cincinnati vs Colorado Rapids Prediction, 6/19/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Columbus Crew vs Chicago Fire Prediction, 6/19/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- D.C. United vs Inter Miami CF Prediction, 6/19/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Real Salt Lake vs Vancouver Whitecaps FC Prediction, 6/18/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Toronto FC vs Orlando City SC Prediction, 6/19/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Los Angeles FC vs Houston Dynamo Prediction, 6/19/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Austin FC vs San Jose Earthquakes Prediction, 6/19/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Portland Timbers vs Sporting KC Prediction, 6/19/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- LA Galaxy vs Seattle Sounders FC Prediction, 6/19/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds