Germany vs Sweden Group F World Cup Picks & Predictions 6/23/2018
World Cup Group F
Saturday, June 23, 2018
Germany will play at Fisht Stadium when they take on Sweden on Saturday, June 23, 2018 in a Group F matchup. The opening line for this game has Germany at -220 and Sweden at +700. The total has been set at 2.75.
The Germans have arguably the deepest team in the tournament this year, and Sweden is still trying to find its identity. You can expect Germany's attack to come out of the gates flying in this one and to put three or more goals past the Swedes by the time the final whistle blows.
One of the reasons why so many people like Germany to win the World Cup this year is because of the ridiculous amount of talent they have in the midfield. Just about all of them have attacking and pressing skills, which is the type of thing that could overwhelm this Swedish team. They did lose fan-favorite defenders Philipp Lahm and Per Mertesacker to retirement, but their current group should be able to step up and shut down most teams' attacks, especially those with weaker offenses like Sweden.
Ozil hasn't quite lived up to the hype at the club level with Arsenal, but many will argue that's because he hasn't been able to play in his favorite position. With Germany, though, he's put right square in the middle of attack, allowing him to show off his creativity and pin-point passing abilities. He should play a huge role in this game against Sweden.
Werner isn't a household name yet, but you can expect the 22-year-old attacker to be just that by the end of the tournament. He has eight goals in just 14 appearances for his national side, and his movement and quick passing abilities suit German coach Joachim Low's philosophy perfectly. It wouldn't be surprising at all if he's able to score a goal or two in this matchup.
This is one of those matchups where Sweden wishes it still former superstar striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic. He had the ability to score extraordinary goals even against the top teams, and Sweden hasn't been able to find the next Ibra yet. They do have great chemistry, though, so they do have a small chance of working extremely well together defensively and containing this high-powered German offense for 90 minutes.
Claesson is a player on this Sweden team that no one is talking about yet, but the big winger stepped up his game in Russia this year, scoring 10 goals in just 30 games. He has just three goals in 22 games for Sweden, but his recent performances suggest that he will play a much bigger part in Sweden's offense moving forward.
Sweden is going to need great leadership from their veterans if they're going to get a shock result against Germany, and Larsson is currently the leader of this team. The midfielder has 100 caps now and recently switched from a more attacking role into a creative defensive midfield role. He'll be tasked with making it hard for Germany to move through the middle and with spraying accurate passes to the attacking players in front of him.
Key Germany Injuries
No key injuries to report
Key Sweden Injuries
No key injuries to report
Who will win tonight's Germany/Sweden World Cup game against the spread?
Guy's Pick: Take Germany -220
Read more articles by Guy Bruhn
Get all of Today's Soccer Picks
Get all of Today's Guaranteed Expert Soccer Picks
Most Recent Soccer Picks
- Monchengladbach vs Borussia Dortmund Prediction, 1/22/2021 Bundesliga Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Athletic Bilbao vs Getafe Prediction, 1/25/2021 La Liga Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Osasuna vs Granada Prediction, 1/24/2021 La Liga Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Celta Vigo vs Eibar Prediction, 1/24/2021 La Liga Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Bayer Leverkusen vs VfL Wolfsburg Prediction, 1/23/2021 Bundesliga Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Arminia Bielefeld vs Eintracht Frankfurt Prediction, 1/23/2021 Bundesliga Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Alaves vs Real Madrid Prediction, 1/23/2021 La Liga Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Elche vs Barcelona Prediction, 1/24/2021 La Liga Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Atlético Madrid vs Valencia Prediction, 1/24/2021 La Liga Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Sevilla vs Cadiz Prediction, 1/23/2021 La Liga Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds