Iran vs Portugal Group B World Cup Picks & Predictions 6/25/2018
World Cup Group B
Monday, June 25, 2018
Iran will take on Portugal at Mordovia Arena in a Group B matchup on Monday, June 25, 2018. The opening line for this World Cup matchup has Iran at +1050 and Portugal at -315. The total opened at 2.25.
This will be a very tough game for Iran to handle as they have a suspect defense and Portugal come in with attackers that can score at will. Iran has done a good job of keeping scores low in the recent past, but Portugal shouldn't have too much of a problem picking up the win in this game.
The Iranians have already shown that they are willing to sit back and absorb pressure for 90 minutes, and that will probably be their plan against Portugal. The problem with that approach, of course, is that they are going to have to accept that Cristiano Ronaldo is going to get his chances when they do sit back and he's willing to take the shots from distance if they give them to him. Iran can do a bit of damage themselves up front, so they will be hoping that Portugal switches off at some point.
The 28-year-old full back is going to have a tough time slowing Ronaldo down, but what will give Iran hope is that he never seems to be intimidated by tough competition. Rezaeian also gives his team a lot of pace up the right side, so look for him to spring forward whenever he can.
The veteran winger has just one goal in his career for Iran, but he gets consistent playing time because he's careful with the ball and he is a solid passer from the wing. His job against Portugal will be to squeeze back and play good traps on defense, then jet forward to support striker Sardar Azmoun up front.
Everyone knows that Portugal should be able to handle Iran pretty easily with all of the attacking power they have up front. However, this could one of those trap games national team coaches worry about. Portugal can't get frustrated by Iran's defensive approach or else they could end up giving up an important goal when they switch off. They do have plenty of experience in their squad now, so that shouldn't end up being a problem in this one.
Guedes has been nothing short of excellent for Portugal, especially considering he is just 21 years of age and on a team filled with other talented players. The winger has three goals in 11 games for his national team. He has great ball control and creativity, which will be useful tools to use against an Iranian defense that is going to be looking to sit back and absorb pressure.
Fernandes earned his spot in Portugal's midfield by staying positionally sound on both ends of the pitch. He's happy to help out the defense when he needs to and he's not afraid to take defenders on when he has one-on-one chances. He also has an excellent right-footed cross that bends around the defensive line.
Key Iran Injuries
No key injuries to report
Key Portugal Injuries
No key injuries to report
Who will win tonight's Iran/Portugal World Cup game against the spread?
Tony's Pick: Take Portugal -315
Get $60 worth of FREE premium member picks. No Obligation. No Salesman. No Credit Card. Fast Sign up with Instant Access Click Here
Read more articles by Tony Sink
Get all of Today's Soccer Picks
Get all of Today's Guaranteed Expert Soccer Picks
Most Recent Soccer Picks
- Wolverhampton vs West Brom Prediction, 1/16/2021 EPL Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Sheffield United vs Tottenham Prediction, 1/17/2021 EPL Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Leeds United vs Brighton Prediction, 1/16/2021 EPL Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Arsenal vs Newcastle United Prediction, 1/18/2021 EPL Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Manchester City vs Crystal Palace Prediction, 1/17/2021 EPL Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Leicester City vs Southampton Prediction, 1/16/2021 EPL Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- West Ham United vs Burnley Prediction, 1/16/2021 EPL Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Liverpool vs Manchester United Prediction, 1/17/2021 EPL Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Fulham vs Chelsea Prediction, 1/16/2021 EPL Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- 1899 Hoffenheim vs Arminia Bielefeld Prediction, 1/16/2021 Bundesliga Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds