Nigeria vs Argentina Group D World Cup Picks & Predictions 6/26/2018
World Cup Group D
Tuesday, June 26, 2018
Saint Petersburg Stadium
Nigeria will play at Saint Petersburg Stadium when they take on Argentina on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 in a Group D matchup. The opening line for this game has Nigeria at +510 and Argentina at -195. The total has been set at 2.75.
In the final game for both teams in Group D play, Nigeria will try to pull off the upset against the top talents from Argentina. Both teams are filled with experienced players who have played in top leagues around the world, so this should be a well-played game from both sides. Argentina will be looking to use their creativity to hopefully win and take the top spot in the group, while Nigeria will be hoping their size and pace will be too much for the Argentines to handle. With that being said, Argentina are the big favorites going into this game.
Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr knows that he needs to coach a perfect game to beat Argentina and his players all need to be on the same page throughout the contest. Chances are that Argentina is going to score at least a goal or two in this game, so it will be a good time for Nigeria to get out of its recent offensive slump, especially if they want to get one or more points from this matchup.
The 19-year-old goalkeeper will be well aware that he will be facing one of the best attacking teams in the nation in this game. The defense in front of him will have to play a great game, but the youngster will also probably need to step up with two or three big saves to give Nigeria a chance to get some points from this tough matchup.
Ighalo hasn't really lived up to the hype that was attached to him back when he played in the Premier League, but he definitely does have some talent. He's strong, he's fast enough to keep up with Nigeria's pacey wingers, and he is above-average at holding the play up for his teammates. In this game he'll have to also show that he can help in defense and produce something in limited opportunities.
This is yet another game where Argentina needs to prove that they are one of the best teams in the world. Nigeria's size and pace could present some problems, but it won't be as much of an issue if Argentina is able to dominate possession. They'll obviously want to get the ball to Messi and the other talented forwards as much as possible, but will really come down to what they do when they lose possession.
Nigeria's focus will be on Messi, which means that Aguero should end up with plenty of opportunities to do some damage up front. The Manchester City striker has just under 40 goals for his country so far and there's a pretty good chance he'll score one or two more in this matchup if Argentina can stay on the front foot.
Rojo has had some issues with his positioning in the past, but this could be a great matchup for him. He is a natural left back so his pace will be nice to have when Nigeria's fast attack is approaching.
Key Nigeria Injuries
No key injuries to report
Key Argentina Injuries
No key injuries to report
Who will win tonight's Nigeria/Argentina World Cup game against the spread?
Tony's Pick: Take Nigeria +510
Get $60 worth of FREE premium member picks. No Obligation. No Salesman. No Credit Card. Fast Sign up with Instant Access Click Here
Read more articles by Tony Sink
Get all of Today's Soccer Picks
Get all of Today's Guaranteed Expert Soccer Picks
Most Recent Soccer Picks
- Bayer Leverkusen vs SC Freiburg Prediction, 2/28/2021 Bundesliga Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Werder Bremen vs Eintracht Frankfurt Prediction, 2/26/2021 Bundesliga Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- VfB Stuttgart vs FC Schalke 04 Prediction, 2/27/2021 Bundesliga Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Chelsea vs Manchester United Prediction, 2/28/2021 EPL Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Bayern Munich vs 1. FC Koln Prediction, 2/27/2021 Bundesliga Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- FSV Mainz 05 vs FC Augsburg Prediction, 2/28/2021 Bundesliga Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Everton vs Southampton Prediction, 3/1/2021 EPL Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Borussia Dortmund vs Arminia Bielefeld Prediction, 2/27/2021 Bundesliga Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Granada vs Elche Prediction, 2/28/2021 La Liga Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Tottenham vs Burnley Prediction, 2/28/2021 EPL Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds