Uruguay vs Portugal Round of 16 World Cup Picks & Predictions 6/30/2018
World Cup Round of 16
Saturday, June 30, 2018
Uruguay will play at Fisht Stadium when they take on Portugal on Saturday, June 30, 2018 in a Round of 16 matchup. The opening line for this game has Uruguay at +162 and Portugal at +165. The total has been set at 2.
In one of the toughest World Cup matchups to predict so far, Group A winners Uruguay is a toss up against Group B runners-up Portugal in the Round of 16. Both teams showed that the bright lights couldn't slow down their offenses during the group stages, but Uruguay certainly looked like the more dominant team of the two. This game should have goals from both sides and could very easily go down to the wire.
It could be argued that Uruguay wasn't even at its best during the group stages, yet they were able to finish with a perfect 3-0 record and scored five goals without conceding any to their opponents. Of course, they were in what many considered to be the easiest group in the World Cup this year - Russia, Saudi Arabia, and Egypt were their opponents - so they could be a bit overwhelmed by the talent that Portugal has.
The veteran midfielder is not the first name most people think of when they talk about this squad, but Sanchez was excellent during the group stages and will need to play well against Portugal if they want to move forward. He is one of the leaders in the tournament in assists and he will need to help out down the ride side of the defense when Portugal pushes forward.
Suarez didn't have a great start to his World Cup, but he finished with two goals in three games in group play. You can be sure that Uruguay will try to get him the ball early and often against Portugal and the striker will try to put his country on his back to take them through to the next round.
The 2016 European Championship winners were not at their best during the group stages, picking up just one win and finishing with a disappointing draw against Iran in their final game. They looked disjointed at times and they once against needed to rely on their superstars to step up and help them pick up some vital points. Portugal does seem to play well when facing other top nations, though, so expect them to be aggressive against Uruguay in this one.
Once again Portugal's best player, Ronaldo stepped up with a hat trick against Spain and finished with four goals in three games. Uruguay will know that Portugal will be looking for Ronaldo every chance they get, but chances are that won't stop him from having a major impact on this game. The question is whether or not he will be able to do enough for his team to get them to the quarterfinals.
The 30-year-old keeper should expect to be put under quite a bit of pressure in this game. He is a fantastic shot stopper, but Uruguay's top attackers have a way of throwing even the top keepers off of their game. If Portugal is going to win, they will need Patricio to make some huge stops in this one.
Key Uruguay Injuries
No key injuries to report
Key Portugal Injuries
No key injuries to report
Who will win tonight's Uruguay/Portugal World Cup game against the spread?
Tony's Pick: Take Uruguay +162
Get $60 worth of FREE premium member picks. No Obligation. No Salesman. No Credit Card. Fast Sign up with Instant Access Click Here
Read more articles by Tony Sink
Get all of Today's Soccer Picks
Get all of Today's Guaranteed Expert Soccer Picks
Most Recent Soccer Picks
- Austin FC vs San Jose Earthquakes Prediction, 6/19/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- New York Red Bulls vs Nashville SC Prediction, 6/18/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- FC Dallas vs Minnesota United FC Prediction, 6/19/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- New York City FC vs New England Revolution Prediction, 6/19/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- FC Cincinnati vs Colorado Rapids Prediction, 6/19/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Los Angeles FC vs Houston Dynamo Prediction, 6/19/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- D.C. United vs Inter Miami CF Prediction, 6/19/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Toronto FC vs Orlando City SC Prediction, 6/19/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Columbus Crew vs Chicago Fire Prediction, 6/19/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- LA Galaxy vs Seattle Sounders FC Prediction, 6/19/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds