Japan vs England World Cup Tips 6/19/2019
Women's World Cup
Wednesday, June 19, 2019
Stade de Nice
Japan will play at Stade de Nice when they take on England on Wednesday, June 19, 2019 in a Women's World Cup matchup. The opening line for this game has Japan at +289 and England at -109. The line on the game being a draw has been set at +193.
In one of the most highly anticipated matches of the group stages, Japan and England will battle it out for the top spot in Group D. After drawing their first fixture against Argentina, Japan came up with a 2-1 win over Scotland in their second. England was able to stay undefeated and up top in the group by defeating Argentina 2-1 in their latest match. England will be slight favorites going into this game.
Japan hasn't dominated so far the way most fans expected them to, but they've done enough to be in a position to win the group if they get the job done versus England on Wednesday. Head coach Asako Takakura will want to get more from her players in this matchup, though, since England has far more talent than both Argentina and Scotland. Expect this young team to be a bit more aggressive when they have the ball in this match.
Related : How to Bet on Soccer
Key Players for Japan:
Moeka Minami - Of all of the young players on this Japan team, Minami will have the toughest job to do on Wednesday against England. She plays right down the middle of Japan's defense and will be tasked with stopping a very talented opposing attack. The 20-year-old played very well against Argentina last week and will want to use her size again to stop England's top forwards.
Ayaka Yamashita - The 23-year-old keeper will need to be on her toes against England. She hasn't had much to do through Japan's first two games, but she'll know that she will be called upon to make some big saves in this one. She also has the job of keeping her defense in position so she isn't stuck in too many one-on-one situations.
England has already done enough to secure their spot in the Round of 16, so it will be interesting to see how they line up in this game against Japan. Chances are they will keep most of their top players in the lineup at a minimum since they will want to keep the top spot in the group and get a better matchup next round. They will look to dominate possession once again to keep Japan from getting their attack going.
Key Players for England:
Jodie Taylor - After scoring the winner against Argentina last week, Taylor will be itching to get back onto the pitch. Whether she starts or comes off of the bench, the veteran attacker should be a focal point of the England offense. The 33-year-old now has 18 goals in her 44 national team appearances.
Stephanie Houghton - Houghton is one of the most experienced players on this England side and she'll know that she and the rest of the defense will be going up against a very aggressive Japan side. Houghton could also play a big part on England corners as she is great in the air and was able to score two goals during the World Cup qualification round.
Who will win tonight's Japan/England World Cup game against the spread?
Josh's Pick: Take Japan +289
Get $60 worth of FREE premium member picks. No Obligation. No Salesman. No Credit Card. Fast Sign up with Instant Access Click Here
Read more articles by Josh Schonwald
Get all of Today's Soccer Picks
Get all of Today's Guaranteed Expert Soccer Picks
Most Recent Soccer Picks
- Inter Miami CF vs CF Montreal Prediction, 7/31/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Houston Dynamo vs Real Salt Lake Prediction, 7/31/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Philadelphia Union vs Chicago Fire Prediction, 8/1/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Toronto FC vs Nashville SC Prediction, 8/1/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Seattle Sounders FC vs San Jose Earthquakes Prediction, 7/31/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Sporting KC vs FC Dallas Prediction, 7/31/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- LA Galaxy vs Portland Timbers Prediction, 7/30/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- New York City FC vs Columbus Crew Prediction, 7/30/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Orlando City SC vs Atlanta United FC Prediction, 7/30/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds
- Vancouver Whitecaps FC vs Minnesota United FC Prediction, 7/31/2021 MLS Soccer Pick, Tips and Odds