New York Yankees vs St. Louis Cardinals Prediction, 8/7/2022 MLB Picks, Best Bets & Odds
Game: New York Yankees vs St. Louis Cardinals
Date: Sunday, August 7, 2022
Location: Busch Stadium in St. Louis, MO
TV: Bally Sports Midwest
Odds/Point Spread: New York (-125) St. Louis (+105)
Busch Stadium is the location where the St. Louis Cardinals (58-48) will attempt to defeat the New York Yankees (70-37) on Sunday. The moneyline on this game has the Yankees at -125 and the Cardinals are at +105. The over/under has been set at 8. The starting pitchers are Frankie Montas and Adam Wainwright.
As a team, the New York Yankees are putting up 5.3 runs per contest, which has them at 1st in MLB. They have accumulated 570 runs scored and have an on-base percentage of .331. The Yankees have compiled 154 doubles as a team and have hit 185 balls out of the stadium. They have accounted for 544 runs batted in in addition to 881 hits on the campaign, and their team batting average is .246. New York has a slugging percentage of .447 and have been called out on strikes 895 times, while drawing a walk on 426 occasions.
Get all of our MLB Expert Picks
The Yankees are sitting with a team earned run average of 3.26 for the season (3rd in the league), and their staff has struck out 981 batters. They have earned a K/BB ratio of 3.48 and their pitching staff sits with a WHIP of 1.11. Yankees pitchers have surrendered 107 long balls and 365 runs (3rd in baseball). They have walked 282 opposing players and their FIP is 3.52 as a team this year.
The Yankees have sent 328 relievers to the mound over the course of the season. The relievers have inherited 144 base runners over the course of the season and 30.6% of those players ended up scoring. They have 34 saves on the season and have blown 15 of 49 chances to get a save. The Yankees relief pitchers have earned a save percentage of 69.4% and has come into the game in 112 save situations. The bullpen have 59 holds so far this season (11th in MLB). Yankees pitchers have gone to the mound with runners on 107 times in addition to having 119 appearances in high leverage situations.
The Yankees have converted 72.0% of balls hit into play into outs out of their 8,640 innings, which has them sitting 3rd in pro baseball. The New York Yankees have a total of 2,880 putouts on the year, in addition to 975 assists and 47 errors. Their fielding rate is currently at .988 which puts them in 5th in baseball, and have a total of 65 double plays.
Montas has thrown 552 innings and has accounted for 578 punch outs in his career. Montas (35-32 career mark) has a FIP of 3.71 while he has faced 2,333 opposing batters in the majors. His earned run average is 3.73 (229 ER's allowed) and his WHIP is 1.274. He has conceded 523 hits (8.5 hits per nine innings) and has had 181 free passes.
St. Louis is sitting with 120 home runs so far this year to go along with 471 RBIs. They have 179 two-baggers, while walking 342 times as well as scoring 492 runs. The St. Louis Cardinals have a team OBP of .322 as well as a team batting average of .252 on the campaign. The Cardinals hold a team SLG% of .410 and they score 4.64 runs per outing (8th in the league). They have struck out on 827 occasions (24th in baseball) and have 904 base knocks.
The Cardinals hold a team WHIP of 1.259 in addition to having a FIP of 4.11 as a unit so far this season. They come in at 14th in the league as a pitching staff in total hits given up with 853. The St. Louis pitching staff have allowed 412 runs for the season while having an ERA of 3.77 (392 earned runs conceded). They have earned a K/BB ratio of 2.37 (773 strikeouts vs 326 walks). They have given up 105 homers and they relinquish 3.96 runs per 9 innings (7th in baseball).
St. Louis bullpen pitchers hold an inherited score percentage of 32.9% out of 161 inherited runners. Their bullpen pitchers have stepped onto the mound 85 times in high leverage situations in addition to 104 occasions with base runners. With 83 save situations, the Cardinals have accrued 45 holds and also 14 blown saves. They sit at 17th in baseball holding a save rate of 63.2%, and they have dispatched 310 relievers to the hill this year. St. Louis has called on relief pitchers to enter the contest in 38 save chances and they have come away with 24 saves.
In their 8,430 innings on the field, the Cardinals have a defensive efficiency of 70.9% (6th in professional baseball). The St. Louis Cardinals have gotten 118 double plays and have a fielding percentage of .989 (2nd in MLB). The Cardinals have recorded 1,110 assists, 42 errors and have amassed 2,810 putouts on the season.
So far in his pro baseball career, Wainwright has given up 2,355 base hits and he has 2,107 strikeouts in 2,506 frames. He has allowed 930 ER's while earning a WHIP of 1.209 and having a FIP of 3.4. His strikeout to walk ratio is 3.12 and he has faced 10,360 batters in his career. Wainwright (192-113 career mark) has a 3.34 ERA while conceding 8.5 hits per nine innings.
Who will win tonight's MLB game against the spread or moneyline?
Josh Schonwald's Pick: Take New York (-125)
Get $60 worth of FREE premium member picks. No Obligation. No Salesman. No Credit Card. Fast Sign up with Instant Access Click Here
Get all of Today's Free MLB Picks
Get all of Today's Expert MLB Picks