Calgary Flames at Edmonton Oilers NHL Picks & Predictions 12/9/2018
Sunday, December 9, 2018
Get todays NHL hockey odds on this game.
The Calgary Flames head to Rogers Place to take on the Edmonton Oilers on Sunday, December 9, 2018. The opening line for this contest has the Flames at +109 and the Oilers at -120.
Calgary has a record of 18-9-2 this year. They are 1st in the Pacific Division. They've tallied 102 goals and surrendered 82 goals for a point differential of +20. For the year they have an ATS mark of 18-11-0 and an over/under record of 14-14-0. Edmonton has a record of 15-12-2 this season. They are 5th in the Pacific Division. They have scored 81 goals and given up 87 for a goal differential of -6. Their record against the spread is 15-14-0 while their over/under mark is 12-15-0.
Valuable Calgary Flames Betting Trends
The Calgary Flames are 18-11-0 straight up this year
The Calgary Flames are 14-14-0 against the over/under this season
Important Edmonton Oilers Betting Trends
The Edmonton Oilers are 15-14-0 straight up this year
The Edmonton Oilers are 12-15-0 against the over/under this season
Key Calgary Flames Injuries
12/08/18 C Mikael Backlund Concussion is downgraded to out Saturday vs Nashville
12/07/18 D Mark Giordano Suspension is out 2 games
12/07/18 RW Ryan Lomberg Suspension is out Saturday vs Nashville
11/28/18 D Juuso Valimaki Lower Body is out indefinitely
Key Edmonton Oilers Injuries
12/08/18 LW Drake Caggiula Hand is questionable Sunday vs Calgary
11/16/18 RW Tobias Rieder Upper Body is out indefinitely
10/23/18 D Matt Benning Undisclosed IR (10/19)
Johnny Gaudreau has scored 37 total points this year for the Flames. He has 12 goals this season with 83 shots on net, giving him a shooting percentage of 15%. He has a total of 25 assists on the year and averages 20.1 minutes played per contest. Sean Monahan averages 19.6 minutes of ice time per game this season. In that time he has a shooting percentage of 19% by tallying 17 goals on 88 attempts. He has 16 assists, giving him a total of 33 points on the year. Mike Smith has 10 wins and 7 losses this season in goal for the Flames. He has 452 shots against him and he's surrendered 49 goals. He's made 403 stops for a save percentage of 89%.
Leon Draisaitl has 33 total points this season for the Oilers. He has 15 goals this year with 77 shots on goal, giving him a shooting percentage of 20%. He has a total of 18 assists on the year and averages 21.5 minutes played per contest. Connor McDavid averages 22.8 minutes of ice time per contest. In that time he has a shooting percentage of 15% by scoring 15 goals on 100 attempts. He has 25 assists, giving him a total of 40 points on the year. Mikko Koskinen has 8 wins and 3 losses this season in net for the Oilers. He has 372 shots against him and he's given up 28 goals. He's made 344 saves for a save percentage of 93%.
Useful Team Statistics
The Flames have 38 total points this year, which is 6th in the NHL. They've scored 102 goals while giving up 82 scores, which has them ranked 6th and 22nd respectively. They have had 103 power play chances and scored 24 goals on those opportunities for a percentage of 23%. That is 11th in the league. The Flames have given up 92 power play opportunities and surrendered 21 goals on those chances for a penalty kill percentage of 77%, ranking them 22nd when short-handed. They average 33 shots per contest and as a team shoot 10.65% for the year. They allow 28 shot attempts to their opposition per game and have a team save percentage of 90%, which is 20th in the league.
Useful Team Statistics
The Oilers are 17th in the league with a total of 32 points this season. They have 18 power play goals on 91 chances for a percentage of 20%. That is 15th in the NHL. They've given up 90 power play opportunities and surrendered 21 goals on those chances for a penalty kill percentage of 77%, ranking 26th overall. As a team, the Oilers are 22nd with a total of 81 goals scored while they've given up 87 goals this season, ranking 19th in goals against. They average 31 shots per game and have a team shooting percentage of 8.89%. As a unit they give up 30 shots per contest and have a save percentage of 90%, putting them 21st overall in the NHL.
Calgary is 4th in the NHL in Corsi percentage with 54.3%, as they've attempted 1,766 shots on net at full strength while they've given up 1,487 shots on net in the same situations. Their Fenwick percentage is 53.8% as they have 1,318 attempts while they have given up 1,131 shots on the defensive end. That ranks them 4th in the league. The Flames start possessions in the offensive zone 56% of the time, which is 2nd in the league, while their defensive zone percentage is at 44% for the season. That is 30th overall in the NHL. They have 881 face-off wins compared to 818 losses, meaning their face-off win percentage is 51.9%. That ranks them 7th in the league. On defense Calgary has 432 hits and they have blocked 356 shots from the opposition, putting them 30th overall.
The Oilers are 11th in the league in starting possessions in the offensive zone, doing so 51.9% of the time. Their defensive zone percentage is at 48.1% for the season, which is 21st in the NHL. They have 827 face-off wins compared to 895 losses, meaning their face-off win percentage is 48%. That is 25th in the league. On defense Edmonton has 741 hits and they have blocked 424 shots from the opposition, which is 11th in the league. Edmonton is 10th in the NHL in Corsi percentage with 50.9% as they've attempted 1,680 shots on net at full strength while they've given up 1,622 shots on net in the same situations. Their Fenwick percentage of 51.6% ranks 9th as they have 1,275 attempts while they have given up 1,198 shots on the defensive end.
Who will win tonight's Flames/Oilers NHL game against the spread? Tony's Pick: Take Calgary +109
Tony's Pick: Take Calgary +109
Read more articles by Tony Sink
Get all of Tonight's NHL Picks.
Get all of Tonight's guaranteed Expert NHL Picks.