Philadelphia Flyers at Washington Capitals NHL Picks & Predictions 1/31/2018
Wednesday, January 31, 2018
Capital One Arena
Get todays NHL hockey odds on this game.
The Philadelphia Flyers travel to Capital One Arena to play the Washington Capitals on Wednesday, January 31, 2018. The opening line for this game has the Flyers at +154 and the Capitals at -171.
Free $60 in Member NHL Picks No Obligation Click Here
Philadelphia has a record of 24-17-8 this season and on the road they have a record of 11-8-4-2. They are 5th in the Metropolitan Division. They've scored 141 goals and given up 141 goals for a point differential of 0. For the season they have an ATS record of 24-25-0 and an over/under record of 25-22-0. Washington has a record of 29-15-5 including 18-7-1-0 at home this season. They are 1st in the Metropolitan Division. They've scored 150 goals and surrendered 138 for a goal differential of +12. Their record against the spread is 29-20-0 while their over/under record is 27-22-0.
Valuable Philadelphia Flyers Betting Trends
The Philadelphia Flyers are 24-25-0 straight up this year
The Philadelphia Flyers are 25-22-0 against the over/under this season
Important Washington Capitals Betting Trends
The Washington Capitals are 29-20-0 straight up this year
The Washington Capitals are 27-22-0 against the over/under this season
Key Philadelphia Flyers Injuries
10/15/17 GO Anthony Stolarz Knee IR (10/03)
01/25/18 GO Brian Elliott Lower Body is "?" Wednesday vs Washington
01/25/18 D Samuel Morin Shoulder is "?" Wednesday vs Washington
Key Washington Capitals Injuries
01/28/18 C Evgeny Kuznetsov Groin left last game, is "?" Wednesday vs Philadelphia
Brian Elliott has 19 wins and 11 losses this season in net for the Flyers. He has 1,106 shots against him and he's given up 102 goals. He's made 1,004 saves for a save percentage of 91%. Jakub Voracek has accumulated 56 total points this season for the Flyers. He has 9 goals this year with 150 shots on goal, giving him a shooting percentage of 6%. He has a total of 47 assists on the season and averages 19.6 minutes played per game. Claude Giroux averages 20.4 minutes of ice time per game this year. In that time he has a shooting percentage of 14% by scoring 14 goals on 102 shots. He has 43 assists, giving him a total of 57 points on the season.
Nicklas Backstrom has scored 38 total points this year for the Capitals. He has 10 goals this season with 91 shots on goal, giving him a shooting percentage of 11%. He has a total of 28 assists on the season and averages 19.8 minutes played per game. Braden Holtby has 25 wins and 9 losses this year in goal for the Capitals. He has 1,117 shots against him and he's surrendered 93 goals. He's made 1,024 saves for a save percentage of 92%. Alex Ovechkin averages 19.8 minutes of ice time per game. In that time he has a shooting percentage of 14% by scoring 30 goals on 208 shots. He has 23 assists, giving him a total of 53 points on the season.
Useful Team Statistics
The Flyers have allowed 150 power play opportunities and have given up 37 goals on those chances for a penalty kill percentage of 75% this year. That is 28th in the NHL. They average 32 shots per game and as a team shoot 9.04% for the season. They allow 30 shots to their opposition per contest and have a team save percentage of 91%, which is ranked 21st in the league. The Flyers has 56 total points this season, ranking 19th in the NHL in offense. They are 19th in the league with 141 goals while they've given up 141 goals, which is 16th overall. They have had 169 power play opportunities and scored 35 goals on those chances for a percentage of 21%. That is 9th in the NHL.
Useful Team Statistics
As a team, the Capitals are 11th with 150 goals scored while they are 19th in the NHL with 138 goals allowed this year. They average 29 shots per contest and have a team shooting percentage of 10.55%. They give up 32 shots per game and have a save percentage of 91%, putting them in 13th place in the league. The Capitals have a total of 63 points this year, which is 7th in the NHL. They have 31 power play goals on 155 opportunities for a percentage of 20%. That ranks their power play unit 15th. They've allowed 167 power play opportunities and have given up 33 goals on those chances for a penalty kill percentage of 80%, which is 18th overall.
Philadelphia is 13th in the NHL in Corsi percentage with 50.5%, as they've attempted 2,829 shots on net at full strength while they've given up 2,773 shots on net in the same situations. Their Fenwick percentage is 50.8% as they have 2,123 attempts while they have given up 2,054 shots on the defensive end. That ranks them 14th in the league. The Flyers start possessions in the offensive zone 50.5% of the time, which is 16th in the league, while their defensive zone percentage is at 49.5% for the season. That is 13th overall in the NHL. They have 1,562 face-off wins compared to 1,397 losses, meaning their face-off win percentage is 52.8%. That ranks them 3rd in the league. On defense Philadelphia has 1,026 hits and they have blocked 719 shots from the opposition, putting them 16th overall.
The Capitals start possessions in the offensive zone 50.3% of the time while their defensive zone percentage is at 49.7% for the year. That ranks them 20th and 14th respectively in the NHL. They have 1,478 face-off wins as opposed to 1,433 losses, meaning their face-off win percentage is 50.8%. That is 14th in the league. On defense Washington has 1,104 hits and they've blocked 699 attempts from opposing offenses, ranking them 21st in blocked shots. Washington is ranked 29th in Corsi percentage with 48.1% as they've tried 2,756 shots on goal while at full strength while they have surrendered 2,968 shots on net when they have a full team on the ice. Their Fenwick percentage is 31st in the NHL at 47.1%, as they have 2,023 shots while they've given up 2,269 attempts on defense.
Who will win tonight's Flyers/Capitals NHL game against the spread? Josh's Pick: Take Washington -171 Get $60 worth of FREE premium member picks. No Obligation. No Salesman. No Credit Card. Fast Sign up with Instant Access Click Here
Josh's Pick: Take Washington -171
Read more articles by Josh Schonwald
Get all of Tonight's Free NHL Picks.
Get all of Tonight's 100% profit guaranteed Expert NHL Picks.