New York Islanders at Washington Capitals NHL Game Picks 1/18/2019
Friday, January 18, 2019
Capital One Arena
Get todays NHL hockey odds on this game.
The New York Islanders head to Capital One Arena to take on the Washington Capitals on Friday, January 18, 2019. The opening line for this contest has the Islanders at +135 and the Capitals at -165.
New York has a record of 26-15-4 this year. They are 3rd in the Metropolitan Division. They've tallied 136 goals and surrendered 118 goals for a point differential of +18. For the year they have an ATS mark of 26-19-0 and an over/under record of 16-26-0. Washington has a record of 27-14-5 this season. They are 2nd in the Metropolitan Division. They have scored 157 goals and given up 139 for a goal differential of +18. Their record against the spread is 27-19-0 while their over/under mark is 23-20-0.
Valuable New York Islanders Betting Trends
The New York Islanders are 26-19-0 straight up this year
The New York Islanders are 16-26-0 against the over/under this season
Important Washington Capitals Betting Trends
The Washington Capitals are 27-19-0 straight up this year
The Washington Capitals are 23-20-0 against the over/under this season
Key New York Islanders Injuries
12/19/18 D Thomas Hickey Upper Body IR (12/19)
10/04/18 RW Matt Lorito Undisclosed is out indefinitely
10/01/18 LW Andrew Ladd Undisclosed is out indefinitely
Key Washington Capitals Injuries
12/14/18 D Christian Djoos Lower Body is out indefinitely
01/16/19 GO Braden Holtby Eye is questionable Friday vs NY Islanders
Josh Bailey has scored 34 total points this year for the Islanders. He has 10 goals this season with 73 shots on net, giving him a shooting percentage of 14%. He has a total of 24 assists on the year and averages 17.4 minutes played per contest. Anders Lee averages 17.3 minutes of ice time per game this season. In that time he has a shooting percentage of 14% by tallying 16 goals on 117 attempts. He has 19 assists, giving him a total of 35 points on the year. Robin Lehner has 13 wins and 7 losses this season in goal for the Islanders. He has 680 shots against him and he's surrendered 49 goals. He's made 631 stops for a save percentage of 93%.
Nicklas Backstrom has 46 total points this season for the Capitals. He has 12 goals this year with 95 shots on goal, giving him a shooting percentage of 13%. He has a total of 34 assists on the year and averages 20.1 minutes played per contest. Alex Ovechkin averages 21.1 minutes of ice time per contest. In that time he has a shooting percentage of 18% by scoring 33 goals on 183 attempts. He has 19 assists, giving him a total of 52 points on the year. Braden Holtby has 17 wins and 10 losses this season in net for the Capitals. He has 957 shots against him and he's given up 84 goals. He's made 873 saves for a save percentage of 91%.
Useful Team Statistics
The Islanders have 56 total points this year, which is 13th in the NHL. They've scored 136 goals while giving up 118 scores, which has them ranked 21st and 31st respectively. They have had 134 power play chances and scored 22 goals on those opportunities for a percentage of 16%. That is 25th in the league. The Islanders have given up 133 power play opportunities and surrendered 28 goals on those chances for a penalty kill percentage of 79%, ranking them 20th when short-handed. They average 28 shots per contest and as a team shoot 10.72% for the year. They allow 31 shot attempts to their opposition per game and have a team save percentage of 92%, which is 1st in the league.
Useful Team Statistics
The Capitals are 7th in the league with a total of 59 points this season. They have 30 power play goals on 139 chances for a percentage of 22%. That is 12th in the NHL. They've given up 165 power play opportunities and surrendered 36 goals on those chances for a penalty kill percentage of 78%, ranking 24th overall. As a team, the Capitals are 8th with a total of 157 goals scored while they've given up 139 goals this season, ranking 16th in goals against. They average 30 shots per game and have a team shooting percentage of 11.57%. As a unit they give up 32 shots per contest and have a save percentage of 91%, putting them 11th overall in the NHL.
New York is 28th in the NHL in Corsi percentage with 47%, as they've attempted 2,334 shots on net at full strength while they've given up 2,630 shots on net in the same situations. Their Fenwick percentage is 47.5% as they have 1,743 attempts while they have given up 1,930 shots on the defensive end. That ranks them 26th in the league. The Islanders start possessions in the offensive zone 46.7% of the time, which is 30th in the league, while their defensive zone percentage is at 53.3% for the season. That is 2nd overall in the NHL. They have 1,226 face-off wins compared to 1,312 losses, meaning their face-off win percentage is 48.3%. That ranks them 24th in the league. On defense New York has 1,100 hits and they have blocked 700 shots from the opposition, putting them 9th overall.
The Capitals are 19th in the league in starting possessions in the offensive zone, doing so 49.6% of the time. Their defensive zone percentage is at 50.4% for the season, which is 13th in the NHL. They have 1,261 face-off wins compared to 1,458 losses, meaning their face-off win percentage is 46.4%. That is 31st in the league. On defense Washington has 1,030 hits and they have blocked 710 shots from the opposition, which is 6th in the league. Washington is 23rd in the NHL in Corsi percentage with 48.4% as they've attempted 2,601 shots on net at full strength while they've given up 2,771 shots on net in the same situations. Their Fenwick percentage of 48.8% ranks 21st as they have 1,962 attempts while they have given up 2,061 shots on the defensive end.
Who will win tonight's Islanders/Capitals NHL game against the spread? Tony's Pick: Take New York +135 Get $60 worth of FREE premium member picks. No Obligation. No Salesman. No Credit Card. Fast Sign up with Instant Access Click Here
Tony's Pick: Take New York +135
Read more articles by Tony Sink
Get all of Tonight's Free NHL Picks.
Get all of Tonight's Expert Expert NHL Picks.