Pittsburgh Penguins vs New Jersey Devils Predictions, Hockey Picks 3/10/2020
Tuesday, March 10, 2020
Get todays NHL hockey odds on this game.
Prudential Center is the venue where MacKenzie Blackwood and the New Jersey Devils (28-28-12, 8th in the Metropolitan Division) will play the Pittsburgh Penguins (39-23-6, 3rd in the Metropolitan Division) on Tuesday. The Devils open this contest at +149 while the Penguins are coming in at -165. The total opens at 6. The Penguins cover 55.4% of the time, having gone 36-29 SU. The Devils cover 37.5% of the time, going 24-40 straight up.
The Pittsburgh Penguins will need a bounce back game after taking a 6 - 2 loss to the Carolina Hurricanes in their previous contest. The Penguins had an offensive game that was below their expectations in this defeat. For this game, they netted 2 of the 30 shots they put on net. In addition, they had 7 power play opportunities and netted 1 goal out of those opportunities. Pittsburgh ended up with 8 penalty minutes in this game. The Corsi for the Penguins sat at 37 and the Corsi against was 45 which means they had a Corsi percentage of 45.1%. Their Fenwick sat at 24 and the Fenwick against sat at 29, which earned them a Fenwick percentage of 45.3%. They won 33 face-off wins at even strength and lost 23 attempts to control the puck. Their starts in the offensive zone came in at 54.1% and they had a PDO of 84.7 for this matchup. With regard to the opposition's stats, the Carolina Hurricanes tallied 36 shots. They had a total of 14 penalty minutes and they had 4 power play chances.
Useful Team Statistics
The Penguins have 84 total points this season, which ranks them 7th in the NHL. They are 14th in the league in goals scored with 216 while they've given up 194 goals, ranking them 21st overall. They have had 207 power play opportunities and have scored 42 goals on those chances for a percentage of 20%. That is 16th in the NHL. The Penguins have allowed 187 power play opportunities and have given up 33 goals on those chances for a penalty kill percentage of 82%, putting them 7th in the league when short-handed. They average 32 shots per game and as a team shoot 9.95% for the season. They allow 30 shots to their opposition per contest and have a team save percentage of 90%. That puts them 15th in the league in stopping the puck.
The New Jersey Devils opposed the New York Rangers in a game where the Devils notched a win by a score of 6 - 4. For this outing, New Jersey had a 49.1% Corsi rating. That percentage was had by earning a Corsi of 55 and the other team having a Corsi of 57. Their Fenwick rate was 44.7% by notching a Fenwick of 34 and the Rangers earning a 42 Fenwick. This Corsi percentage speaks to the kind of game that New Jersey had and they put on a good performance in this one. Their PDO was 106.0 and they'll go home having earned an oZS percentage of 33.3%. The Devils scored 6 goals out of the 29 shots on goal they pursued. They had 1 power play attempt in this game and converted 1 on that opportunity. Regarding the opposition, the Rangers had 3 power play chances but weren't able to put the puck in the net. New Jersey gave up 35 shots on goal and the Rangers had 2 penalty minutes.
Useful Team Statistics
The Devils are 25th in the NHL with a total of 68 points this year. They have 41 power play goals on 231 opportunities for a percentage of 18%. That ranks them 22nd in the league as a power play unit. They've allowed 217 power play opportunities and have given up 39 goals on those chances for a penalty kill percentage of 82%. That is 11th in the NHL. As a team, the Devils are 25th in the league with 183 goals scored while they've given up 219 goals, which is 5th overall. They average 31 shots per contest and have a team shooting percentage of 8.74%. As a team they give up 33 shots per game and have a save percentage of 90%. That is 20th in the NHL.
Pittsburgh is 10th in the NHL in Corsi percentage with 50.9%, as they've attempted 3,174 shots on net at full strength while they've given up 3,066 shots on net in the same situations. Their Fenwick percentage is 51.5% as they have 2,435 attempts while they have given up 2,294 shots on the defensive end. That ranks them 7th in the league. The Penguins start possessions in the offensive zone 51.2% of the time, which is 7th in the league, while their defensive zone percentage is at 48.8% for the season. That is 24th overall in the NHL. They have 1,592 face-off wins compared to 1,636 losses, meaning their face-off win percentage is 49.3%. That ranks them 21st in the league. On defense Pittsburgh has 1,738 hits and they have blocked 772 shots from the opposition, putting them 19th overall.
The Devils are 30th in the league in starting possessions in the offensive zone, doing so 46.3% of the time. Their defensive zone percentage is at 53.7% for the season, which is 2nd in the NHL. They have 1,492 face-off wins compared to 1,676 losses, meaning their face-off win percentage is 47.1%. That is 29th in the league. On defense New Jersey has 1,255 hits and they have blocked 884 shots from the opposition, which is 5th in the league. New Jersey is 31st in the NHL in Corsi percentage with 46% as they've attempted 2,962 shots on net at full strength while they've given up 3,480 shots on net in the same situations. Their Fenwick percentage of 46.7% ranks 30th as they have 2,273 attempts while they have given up 2,596 shots on the defensive end.
Who will win tonight's Penguins/Devils NHL game against the spread? Guy's Pick: Take New Jersey Get $60 worth of FREE premium member picks. No Obligation. No Salesman. No Credit Card. Fast Sign up with Instant Access Click Here
Guy's Pick: Take New Jersey
Get $60 worth of FREE premium member picks. No Obligation. No Salesman. No Credit Card. Fast Sign up with Instant Access Click Here
Get all of Tonight's NHL Picks.
Get all of Tonight's guaranteed Expert NHL Picks.