What Does Straight Up Mean In Sports Betting?
The sports betting term "straight up" refers to a wager when the bettor only needs a team or individual to win a game or event outright without any regards to the pointspread. The most obvious example of a straight up bet is the moneyline. The rules there are simple - if you bet on a team and they win the game then you are a winner. If they lose then so do you.
Get free sports picks for every league and nearly every matchup on Doc’s free picks page.
At the risk of insulting your intelligence, I’ll give a couple of examples. First, consider an NBA game between the Los Angeles Lakers and the Dallas Mavericks. The Lakers are a 7-point favorite but the moneyline for Lakers to win is listed at -340. If you bet the moneyline, you only need to Lakers to win the game and there is no consideration given to the point spread. In this wager you have bet the Lakers straight up. Likewise, you have chosen to bet on an MLB game between the Los Angeles Angels and the Toronto Blue Jays. You take the Angels, who are favored by the moneyline of -140. Instead of betting the runline, you have chosen to bet the Angels straight up and only require them to win the game.
You can also use straight up to describe an overall record. Say, for example, that someone in the media was picking every game each week during the NFL season. They could quite possibly give two different records - their record straight up, and their record against the spread. The straight up record will always be better than the record against the spread. When you are talking about sports betting - especially football or basketball where pointspread betting is prevalent - it is good practice to always say either straight up or against the spread (ATS) after every time you mention a record to avoid confusion.
- What Does WHIP Mean in Baseball? Description with Examples
- What are the Differences Between Moneyline and Runline Betting for MLB Wagering?
- What Is A Round Robin In Baseball Betting: Meaning And How To Bet
- Teaser Bet: What is it and How Does it Work in Sports Betting?
- What is a Parlay Bet and How Does It Relate to Sports Betting?
- What is Line Shading and How Oddsmakers Use in Sports Betting and Wagering
- What Does It Mean To Hedge a Sports Bet or Wager?
- How Does Sports Betting Work? Doc’s Sports Provides the Answers
- How to Bet Horse Racing
- How are Betting Lines for NFL and College Football Games Set?