English Premier League Picks: Arsenal vs. Liverpool Odds
by Nicholas Tolomeo - 10/30/2013
A top of the table collision on Saturday in the English Premier League has all the makings of a high-scoring affair. Emirates Stadium will play host to the top billing of the EPL weekend when league-leading Arsenal squares off against third-place Liverpool. Only a goal differential advantage maintained by Chelsea over Liverpool keeps this from being a 1-2 matchup.
Both teams roll into the Saturday’s showdown riding a wave of momentum in EPL action. Liverpool has had the week off following Luis Suarez’s dismantling of West Brom last Saturday. Despite a rumor-filled summer transfer window and a 10-match ban after biting Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic in April, Suarez has seamlessly transitioned back into Liverpool’s game plan. He has put up six goals (including last week’s hat trick) in four games. Also, the Reds have the Premier League’s leading scorer this year Daniel Sturridge, tallying eight goals so far. Following a low-scoring start to the season (Suarez absence due to ban), Liverpool has hit “over” in five of the past six matches, with a clean sheet in just one.
While the Gunners can seemingly do no wrong in league play, their momentum has not carried over to the Capital One Cup and UEFA Champions League. Arsenal was knocked out of the Capital One Cup on Tuesday after a 2-0 loss with an intentionally-depleted starting lineup. The loss, coupled with a 2-1 Champions League setback against Borussia Dortmund, was cause for Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger to describe Saturday’s game as a must-win and demand a response from his players.
Arsenal has been playing solid football this year following their puzzling opening loss to Aston Villa that led to louder cries for Wenger to be sacked by Arsenal supporters. Those cries have since subsided as the Gunners stormed to the top of the table. This is a squad with Olivier Giroud and Aaron Ramsey finding the back of the net five times a piece, and Mesut Ozil adding two goals, three assists and undeniable creativity to the team’s midfield. Arsenal comes into the match having hit the over six out their nine matches, with clean sheets coming against the anemic Crystal Place and offensively-challenged Tottenham Hotspur.
The last two meetings between these two clubs at Emirates Stadium have resulted in a 2-1 Arsenal win in March, 2012, and a 2-2 draw in February, 2013. With Arsenal’s sense of urgency and Liverpool’s goal-scoring hot streak it rides into the weekend, over 2.5 goals has plenty of value even at a price of -155 on Bovada.
Most Recent Soccer Betting and Handicapping
- 2021 Champions League Round of 16 Predictions: Manchester City vs Borussia Monchengladbach
- 2021 Champions League Round of 16 Predictions: Lazio vs Bayern Munich
- 2021 Champions League Round of 16 Predictions: FC Porto vs Juventus
- 2021 Champions League Round of 16 Predictions: PSG vs Barcelona
- Real Salt Lake vs Colorado Rapids Predictions, MLS Picks, Betting Tips 7/12/2020
- Sporting KC vs Minnesota United FC Predictions, MLS Picks, Betting Tips 7/12/2020
- Toronto FC vs D.C. United Predictions, MLS Picks, Betting Tips 7/12/2020
- Leicester City vs Bournemouth Predictions, EPL Picks, Betting Tips, 7/12/2020
- Arsenal vs Tottenham Predictions, EPL Picks, Betting Tips, 7/12/2020
- Crystal Palace vs Aston Villa Predictions, EPL Picks, Betting Tips, 7/12/2020