Bank of America 500, Odds and Predictions
by Tony Sink - 10/9/2014
The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series travels to Concord, North Carolina, this week for the Bank of America 500. The series last raced at Charlotte Motor Speedway in May.
The Sprint Cup Series has competed at Charlotte more than any other track on the circuit this season. Most teams competed in the Sprint All-Star Race and the Coca-Cola 600 in May. The race track is similar to the race last week at Kansas, so that data can be used for this week as well.
The last race at Charlotte was dominated by Jimmie Johnson. Johnson has won seven races at the race track and has finished in the top 10 in 17 of his 26 starts. In the Memorial Day weekend race, Johnson won the pole, led the most laps and won the race. Do not be surprised if Johnson dominates the race Saturday night.
Here are my picks for the Bank of America 500 at Charlotte…
Tony’s Pick: Kevin Harvick (9 to 2)
Harvick has been the best driver at qualifying and leading laps on the intermediate race tracks this season. He won his eighth pole of the season last week. Harvick has four second-place finishes and has won five poles at the intermediate race tracks. At some point, this team has got to come out of its funk and win one of these races. Harvick is unquestionably fielding the fastest car every weekend. I am going to pick Kevin to have his luck change for the better this week and he will win this race.
Top 3 Finish: Jimmie Johnson (6 to 1)
Johnson, who got caught up in a wreck at Kansas, probably couldn’t be going to a better track needing a win. He has the highest driver rating (112.7) and the best average running position (7.5) of any driver at the track. He has won the fall race three times, the last one coming in 2009. He led 130 laps there last October before finishing fourth. Since winning at Charlotte, Johnson has struggled a bit on 1.5-mile tracks, but look for him to be at his best at a track where he knows he can win.
Stay Away: Kurt Busch (40/1)
The problem for Busch at Charlotte and his problem in general is that when he doesn't run well, he runs really, really bad. He already has two finishes of 36th or worse during the Chase, and he finished 40th at Charlotte earlier this year.
2014 Doc’s NASCAR Selections
- · $100 bettors up +$5,792 on the season
- · Coming off a perfect 4-0 sweep at Kansas for 2K in profits
- 69-43 (62%) on the season with our driver match-up selections
Read more articles by Tony Sink
- Hollywood Casino 400 Picks, Odds & Predictions
- Autotrader EchoPark Automotive 500 Picks, Odds & Predictions 10/17/2021
- Bank of America ROVAL 400 Picks, Odds & Predictions 10/10/2021
- YellaWood 500 Picks, Odds & Predictions 10/3/2021
- South Point 400 Picks, Odds & Predictions 9/26/2021
- Bass Pro Shops Night Race Picks, Odds & Predictions 9/18/2021
- Federated Auto Parts 400 Picks, Odds & Predictions 9/11/2021
- Cook Out Southern 500 Picks, Odds & Predictions 9/5/2021
- Coke Zero Sugar 400 Picks, Odds & Predictions 8/28/2021
- FireKeepers Casino 400 Picks, Odds & Predictions 8/22/2021