Kentucky Derby Trivia Questions and Answers
by Trevor Whenham - 4/25/2014
As has become a tradition, I have assembled some really tough Kentucky Derby Trivia questions and answers for you. If you get seven right, you really know your stuff. Be sure to check out Doc's Sports daily leading up to the Kentucky Derby for the best free content on the Internet.
1. Santa Anita Derby winner California Chrome is the likely Kentucky Derby favorite. Probably the most amazing part of his story, though, is that 77-year-old trainer Art Sherman, who is making his training debut in the Derby, was once an exercise rider for a Derby winner. What year was that?
2. The top three finishers from the Santa Anita Derby are heading to Kentucky for another showdown. We've already talked about the winner. Since 1994, though, how many Triple Crown races have been won by horses that finished second or third in California's biggest three year old race?
3. If things go according to plan, Irad Ortiz Jr. will be aboard Uncle Sigh in the Kentucky Derby, and his younger brother Jose will be on Samraat. The last two brothers to ride in the race in the same year were Eddie and Sam Maple. When was that?
4. Calvin Borel will be looking to win his fourth Kentucky Derby this year when he gets aboard Ride On Curlin. One other currently active jockey has three Derby wins. Who is it?
a) Gary Stevens
b) Mike Smith
c) John Velazquez
d) Kent Desormeaux
5. Performance enhancing drugs are unfortunately a big story in sports these days. The Derby had their own PED scandal in 1968 when the winner was eventually disqualified after a long court battle for using an illegal substance. Forward Pass is listed as the winner in that race, but which horse actually crossed the wire first?
a) Dancer's Image
b) Francie's Hat
c) T.V. Commercial
d) Kentucky Sherry
6. Todd Pletcher will have three or four more horses entered in the Derby this year. In recent years he has made a habit of dominating the starting gate, but he has only Super Saver's victory to show for it. How many horses has Pletcher started in the race that have failed to wear roses?
7. There is a chance that we will see as many as five horses from the Blue Grass Stakes in the Kentucky Derby - the top three finishers and the last two horses to cross the finish line in the 14-horse field. While that would make the race the most represented major prep race this year, winners of that race have long struggled in the Derby. When was the last Blue Grass - Kentucky Derby dual winner?
8. Several sires with offspring in the Derby this year also ran in the Derby themselves, and Curlin even won a Triple Crown race. When was the last time that a Derby winner was sired by a former Derby winner?
9. Rosie Napravnik will be aboard Vicar's In Trouble. It will be her third attempt in four years to become the first woman to ride a Derby winner. Recently, though, jockey Chantal Sutherland was the regular rider of a future Derby winner as a two year old. Which horse was it?
a) I'll Have Another
b) Animal Kingdom
c) Super Saver
d) Mine That Bird
10. Bettors always pay attention to the favorites, but we have seen plenty of horses deliver at long odds in recent years. How many favorites have won the race since 1980?
1 - a. Sherman exercised Swaps in 1955, and he even traveled in the boxcar with him as they traveled by train from California to Louisville.
2 - c. Tabasco Cat won the Preakness and Belmont in 1994. Silver Charm in 1997 and Real Quiet the next year both won the first two legs. All three of those horses were second at Santa Anita. In 2010 Lookin at Lucky won the Preakness after finishing third at Santa Anita.
3 - c. Eddie was third in the 1984 Derby aboard at the Threshold. Taylor's Special and Sam were 13th.
4 - d. Desormeaux first won on Real Quiet in 1998, followed by Fusaichi Pegasus in 2000 and Big Brown in 2008.
5 - a. The drug Dancer's Image tested positive for, phenylbutazone, is now legal and frequently used at tracks in several states.
6 - c. Pletcher holds the record for the most horses in one year with five.
7 - b. Strike the Gold also finished sixth in the Preakness and second in the Belmont that year.
8 - a. Unbridled won the Derby in 1990, and son Grindstone won just six years later.
9 - d. Sutherland rode Mine That Bird three times at Woodbine and then again in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile at Santa Anita.
10 - a. Fusaichi Pegasus in 2000 was the first favorite to win since 1979.
Read more articles by Trevor Whenham
Most Recent Kentucky Derby Handicapping
- 2020 Kentucky Derby Long Shots: Expert Advice and Betting Tips for Finding Value
- 2020 Kentucky Derby Predictions
- 2020 Kentucky Oaks Predictions and Race Analysis
- Kentucky Derby Field - The Lineup and Morning Line Odds
- Best Trifecta Bets for the 2020 Kentucky Derby
- 2020 Kentucky Derby Horse Numbers: Post Positions and Expert Analysis
- 2020 Kentucky Derby Wagering Strategies
- 2020 Kentucky Derby Betting Trends
- Kentucky Derby Odds - Betting the 2020 Kentucky Derby
- 2020 Kentucky Derby Trivia Questions and Answers