Kansas Lottery 300, Odds and Predictions
by Guy Bruhn - 10/3/2014
The second round of the Chase begins this weekend when the Cup Series returns to Kansas Speedway, and while the 1.5-mile oval may have a very familiar layout, history says to expect the unexpected at Kansas. After all, the track has played host to surprise winners and some of the strangest moments in the Chase.
Jeff Gordon will attempt to become the first driver to sweep both races at Kansas. That's a tall order given Kansas Speedway's rapidly changing track conditions during the fall race weekend. Starting up front is important at Kansas. Five of the 17 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races at Kansas Speedway have been won from the front row.
Team Penske teammates Brad Keselowski and Joey Logano won the first two races of the Chase, while Hendrick's Jeff Gordon (which we picked) won last week at Dover . Will the trend carry over into the second round of the 10-race Chase for the Sprint Cup?
Here's a look at the favorites and our picks for the fourth Chase race.
Guy’s Pick: Kevin Harvick (9 to 2)
At some point, this team has got to come out of its funk and win one of these races. Harvick is unquestionably fielding the fastest car every weekend. He is also the defending winner of this weekend's race, and he finished second at Kansas earlier this year. Harvick has led the most laps in each of his last two starts at the track, and he has finished 12th or better in eight straight starts.
Top 3 Finish: Jeff Gordon (4 to 1)
He is gunning for a season sweep at Kansas this weekend, and Gordon is also the only three-time winner in track history. In 17 total starts at Kansas, Gordon has 10 Top-5 finishes, including finishes of third and first in his last two starts. Overall, his 10.1 average finish at the track ranks second in the series.
Stay Away: Austin Dillion (100/1)
He has finished 20th or worse in five of his last seven starts, and earlier this year at Kansas, he finished 19th. It's tough to expect more than a Top-20 out of Dillon right now.
2014 Doc’s NASCAR Selections
• $100 bettors up +$3,832 on the season
• 65-43 (60%) on the season with our driver match-up selections
Read more articles by Guy Bruhn
- Drydene 400 Picks, Odds & Predictions 5/16/2021
- Goodyear 400 picks, NASCAR predictions, Racing Tips, Odds
- Buschy McBusch Race 400 Picks, Odds & Predictions 5/2/2021
- Geico 500 picks, NASCAR predictions, Racing Tips, Odds
- Toyota Owners 400 Picks, Odds & Predictions 4/18/2021
- Blue Emu Maximum Pain Relief 500 Picks, Odds & Predictions 4/10/2021
- Food City Dirt Race Picks, Odds & Predictions 3/28/2021
- Folds of Honor QuikTrip 500 Picks, Odds & Predictions 3/21/2021
- Instacart 500 Picks, Odds & Predictions 3/14/2021
- Pennzoil 400 Picks, Odds & Predictions 3/7/2021