What Does Reverse Mean In Sports Betting and Horse Racing?
A “reverse” is a little used term in horse racing. To understand it we first need to know what an exacta is. The second most simple of the exotic bets in horse racing, the exacta is a bet in which you have to pick the top two finishers in a race and pick them in the correct order. You could, for example, bet that horse #4 is going to win, and #6 is going to finish second. If that happens then you have a winning bet, and a payoff that is typically quite a bit higher than a win bet. If one or both of the horses in the winning combination are longshots then exacta payoffs can be quite large.
The term “reverse” is used in horse racing wagers when a bettor asks for a second exacta bet, but this time he has his two horses “reverse” in order of predicted finish to that of his original exacta.
Betting an exacta and a reverse is exactly the same as betting a two horse exacta box
Betting an exacta reverse is a simple way to make two bets, but it may not always be the most efficient. Because you are betting the same amount on both combinations, betting this way would only truly make sense if you felt equally strongly about the chances of both horses. If you thought that one of the two horses was more likely than the other to win then it would typically make more sense to bet more on that combination and less on the less likely combination.
For instance, if the original exacta wager had the No. 5 horse finishing first and the No. 7 horse finishing second in the third race of the day, then a “reverse” of this would be having a second exacta where the bettor has the No. 7 horse finishing first and the No. 5 horse finishing second.
Doc's Sports is offering $60 worth of handicapper picks absolutely free - no obligation, no sales people - you don't even have to enter credit card information. You can use this $60 credit any way you please for any handicapper and any sport on Doc's Sports Advisory Board list of expert sports handicappers. Click here for more details and take advantage of this free $60 picks credit today .
- How Does Sports Betting Work? Doc’s Sports Provides the Answers
- What is a Parlay Bet and How Does It Relate to Sports Betting?
- Teaser Bet: What is it and How Does it Work in Sports Betting?
- How to Bet Horse Racing
- What is Line Shading and How Oddsmakers Use in Sports Betting and Wagering
- What are the Differences Between Moneyline and Runline Betting for MLB Wagering?
- How are Betting Lines for NFL and College Football Games Set?
- What is a Value Bet in Football: Expert NFL and NCAA Wagering Analysis
- What Is the Difference Between a Quinella vs. Exacta Box?
- What Happens to My Bet if My Parlay Has a Canceled Game?