Super Bowl Trivia Questions and Answers
by Trevor Whenham - 1/22/2014
The Super Bowl is here, so it is time for an annual tradition - Super Bowl trivia questions and answers. This is a tough and, at times, obscure quiz. If you get more than six right you really know your stuff. If you can’t answer any correctly, it’s time to do your homework!
Click here for a printable PDF of Doc’s Sports Super Bowl Trivia Questions and Answers
1. We have grown used to underdogs making a run and reaching the Super Bowl in recent years. Seattle and Denver were the top seeds in their conferences this year, though. Just one previous time in the last 20 years have we seen the top seeds square off. When was it?
a. Pittsburgh and Seattle, 2006
b. New England and Philadelphia, 2005
c. New Orleans and Indianapolis, 2010
d. New England and New York Giants, 2008
2. John Fox is just the sixth coach to take two teams to the Super Bowl. His trip with Carolina was back in 2003. Only one coach has had a longer gap between Super Bowl appearances than Fox. Who?
a. Dick Vermeil
b. Bill Parcells
c. Bill Cowher
d. Mike Holmgren
3. It almost seems like we can’t watch a Super Bowl without a Manning playing quarterback. How many times in the last eight years have we had a Manning starting at quarterback in the Super Bowl?
4. Counting this year, how many Super Bowls have the Denver Broncos played with a former first overall pick by the Colts at QB?
5. Before Seattle head coach Pete Carroll became a head coach for the first time, he was a finalist for two head coaching jobs, but lost out to the same guy both times. Who?
a. Dennis Erickson
b. Dennis Green
c. Bill Parcells
d. Bill Belichick
6. Russell Wilson can be the shortest Super Bowl champion QB ever, and the first under six feet. The Hall of Fame obviously isn’t a discussion right now, but only one QB under six feet has made it to Canton. Who?
a. Sonny Jurgensen
b. Joe Theismann
c. Len Dawson
d. Doug Flutie
7. Richard Sherman is one of the best cornerbacks in football right now, and he is certainly the most controversial. Shockingly, though, he was just a fifth-round pick in the 2011 NFL draft. How many cornerbacks were selected before him?
8. Barring last-minute injuries, one college will be represented by three offensive starters for the Broncos. Which school?
b. Texas Tech
9. The Broncos and Seahawks are not regular opponents. They haven’t met in the regular season since September of 2010 - a 31-14 Denver win that is all but meaningless since neither current QB was with his team. How many playoff games have the franchises played against each other?
10. Champ Bailey is an NFL legend, but he is making his first appearance in the Super Bowl in his 15th season in the league. The 35 year old holds the record for most Pro Bowl selections for a cornerback. How many?
1 - c. The Saints beat the Colts 31-17 the last time Manning played in the big game.
2 - a. Vermeil went in 1981 with the Eagles then waited 19 years before winning with St. Louis in 2000.
3 - c. Peyton won in 2007 and lost in 2010. Eli won in 2008 and 2012.
4 - d. John Elway was selected first overall by the Baltimore Colts in 1983, but he forced a trade to the Broncos before playing a game. He played in five Super Bowls, winning two.
5. - b. Carroll was a finalist for both the Stanford job in 1989 and the Vikings in 1992, but he lost both to Green.
6 - a. Jurgensen, who was 5-foot-11 and played in the NFL until he was 40, only started one playoff game - the last game of his career. The Redskins played in the Super Bowl in 1973, but Jurgensen was injured.
7 - d. There are some legitimate selections like Patrick Peterson and Jimmy Smith, but picks like the Patriots taking Ras-I Dowling in the second round already look awful, and it has only been three seasons.
8 - b. The offensive line features Manny Ramirez at center and Louis Vasquez at guard. Undrafted wide receiver Wes Welker was also a Red Raider.
9 - b. It was 30 years ago that Seattle crushed the Broncos 31-7 in an AFC wild-card game in the Kingdome.
10 - c. He also has been named all-pro seven times.
Read more articles by Trevor Whenham
Most Recent Super Bowl Betting
- Free Super Bowl Props Predictions for 2024
- Chiefs Looking at Potential Dynasty in Super Bowl 58
- 2024 Super Bowl Betting for Dummies and Novice Bettors
- Handicapping Super Bowl Injuries
- Super Bowl Handicapping: Expert Tips for Betting Success
- Super Bowl Props: Head-to-Head Matchup Predictions
- Crazy, Fun, Wacky, Wild and Weird Super Bowl Props
- Super Bowl Betting Public Action Report
- Super Bowl Halftime Show Betting Props: Odds and Predictions
- Handicapping the Super Bowl Quarterbacks and Best Bets for Props