Super Bowl Trivia Questions and Answers
by Trevor Whenham - 2/4/2011
The Green Bay Packers and Pittsburgh Steelers are two storied franchises with a lot of high points in their histories. As they prepare to meet in what promises to be a great Super Bowl on Sunday, you can use this quiz to get you into game shape. These Super Bowl trivia questions are very tough, so if you answer nine of these 12 questions you are ready to be a starter: Answers are at the bottom of this page.
1. The Packers have won three Super Bowls, with the most recent coming in 1996. Who was the backup QB for the Packers in that game?
a) Ty Detmer
b) Don Majkowski
c) Jim McMahon
d) Mark Brunell
2. Including the three Super Bowl championship Green Bay has won, how many times have they been named NFL champions since Curly Lambeau founded the franchise in 1919?
3. Three members of the coaching staff for that 1996 championship team from Green Bay went on to coach other teams in the NFL. Which of these guys was not one of them?
a) Marty Mornhinweg
b) Steve Mariucci
c) Mike Holmgren
d) Andy Reid
4. Bart Starr was the MVP of the first two Super Bowls that Green Bay won. He was injured in the second game, though, and was unable to play the fourth quarter. What quarterback took his place? (hint: he’s the father of the Bengals’ offensive coordinator)
a) Scott Hunter
b) Lamar McHan
c) Len Dawson
d) Zeke Bratkowski
5. The year after they won the Super Bowl Green Bay made the game again but lost it. Who was the MVP of that game?
a) Terrell Davis
b) Larry Brown
c) John Elway
d) Shannon Sharpe
6. Desmond Howard was the Super Bowl MVP in 1996 for the Packers. How many other Heisman Trophy winners have also been named Super Bowl MVP?
7. Mike Tomlin was the youngest coach ever to win a Super Bowl, and if he wins this year he will be the second youngest also. Who was the oldest?
a) Marv Levy
b) Dick Vermeil
c) Tom Landry
d) Bud Grant
8. Pittsburgh won four Super Bowls in six years starting in 1974. Which of these players from that era was never named MVP of a Super Bowl?
a) Terry Bradshaw
b) Lynn Swann
c) Jack Lambert
d) Franco Harris
9. With this game the Steelers tie the Cowboys for the most Super Bowl appearances with eight. Two teams will be tied for second with six after this game. Who are they?
a) Denver and New England
b) Washington and Miami
c) San Francisco and Green Bay
d) The Raiders and Buffalo
10. How many players were Pro Bowlers for the Steelers both when they won the Super Bowl in 2005 and when they did so in 2008?
11. After how many of the Steelers’ six Super Bowl wins has the team failed to make the playoffs the following year?
12. If the Steelers win the Super Bowl it will be their third win in six year, and it will be the second time they have won at least three in a six year span. How many other teams have won at least three Super Bowls in six years?
1. c - McMahon created a controversy when he wore a Chicago Bears jersey to the White House after the win.
2. c - This is the most ever by any franchise.
3. b - Mariucci had left Green Bay the year before to be head coach at Cal.
4. d - Bratkowski graduated from Georgia in 1953 and was the NCAA’s all-time leading passer until 1961.
5. a - Davis won despite missing the second quarter with a migraine.
6. d - Roger Staubach, Jim Plunkett, and Marcus Allen.
7. b - Vermeil was 63 years old at the time. That’s 10 years younger than Pittsburgh defensive coordinator Dick Lebeau will be if he wins this year.
8. c - Lambert was on all four Super Bowl teams, was seven times an All Pro, and was named to the all-decade team in the 1970s and the 1980s, but he was never Super Bowl MVP.
9. a - The Broncos and Patriots have fewer combined wins in their 12 appearances (5) than the Steelers have alone.
10. b - Troy Polamalu and his big hair is the only guy to be honored both years. He is also a Pro Bowler this year.
11. c - After each of the last three Super Bowl wins.
12. d - San Francisco in 1985, 1989 and 1990, Dallas in 1993, 1994 and 1996, and New England in 2002, 2004, and 2005.
Doc’s Sports’ Super Bowl content is the best on the Internet and we will dissect the game from every possible angle, from Super Bowl handicapping strategy to Super Bowl Squares Probability. We also offer expert Super Bowl picks from seven different handicappers (for only $25 for each NFL handicapper) and our Super Bowl odds page will be updated any time there is line movement for the big game. Check our home page daily all week for daily exclusive content!
Most Recent Super Bowl Betting
- 2020 Super Bowl Handicapping by Expert NFL Handicapper
- 2020 First Touchdown Scored Super Bowl Props Odds and Expert Betting Predictions
- Super Bowl Betting Money Management
- Free Super Bowl Props Predictions 2020
- Super Bowl Coin Toss History and Statistics
- 2020 Super Bowl Trivia Questions and Answers
- Betting on the Super Bowl Coin Toss
- Super Bowl Prop Bets - Super Bowl Props for 2020 Super Bowl 54
- 2020 Super Bowl Betting Tips and Advice
- 2020 Super Bowl Cross Sport Props: Predictions and Analysis