NFL Survivor and Confidence Pool Picks and Advice: Week 2
We almost had the most Survivor Pool-wrecking Week 1 that I can remember.
Let me start with the fact that my top choice, the Baltimore Ravens, was never threatened in trashing the quarterback-horrid Buffalo Bills 47-3 in Week 1. However, I know that several people in my competitions had the New Orleans Saints as their Survivor choice. Newbies tend to just pick the team that's the biggest favorite, and that was the Saints in Week 1. They were gashed by Ryan Fitzmagic and the Bucs, 48-40.
Many folks had the Green Bay Packers as their choice, and the Packers SHOULD have lost at home to my Bears - but Matt Nagy decided to put on a little barbie dress in the second half and call a scared offensive game plan. That allowed a gimpy Aaron Rodgers to lead one of the most unlikely comeback wins in Packer history and break my heart yet again (but Khalil Mack, bitches! I still have hope).
Free $60 in Member NFL Picks No Obligation Click Here
I thought the Detroit Lions were a very solid choice in Week 1, but then forgot they are the Detroit Lions. Matt Patricia already is being trashed by all my Michigan peeps as the Lions looked worse than any team but Buffalo in being shelled at home by the New York Donalds on Monday night. Some rocket scientist!
We also had an unlikely tie in Week 1, between the Steelers and Browns, which from both a Survivor and Confidence Pool perspective is a loss. Fun week, indeed, but then Week 1 is always the most unpredictable.
Here are my Week 2 Survivor Picks in order of how I would also do my Confidence Pool selections (with occasional exceptions noted when necessary). The team listed first is my choice. As always, you should wait until the last possible minute to make your picks.
16. New Orleans vs. Cleveland: The Browns are clearly a lot better this year than the past few, but the Saints' defense is nowhere near as bad as it looked in Week 1, and that unit is likely to play angry after that embarrassment.
15. LA Rams vs. Arizona: This will be the choice of 90 percent of your league most likely because the Rams are easily the biggest Week 2 favorites. I would warn you they are on a short week, though. Plus, I'd simply play defense here because if the Rams somehow lose …
14. San Francisco vs. Detroit: The Vikings made Jimmy Garoppolo look ordinary in San Francisco's Week 1 loss, but that Minnesota defense might be the NFL's best. Motor City Kitties on a short week and going to West Coast isn't going to go well for them. #firemattpatricia will be trending No. 1 by Sunday night.
13. Denver vs. Oakland: Think Jon Gruden already regrets leaving his cushy, high-paying ESPN job for the Raiders' job? That team is a mess … and on a short week playing in the altitude.
12. Houston at Tennessee: It's just too early to pick a road team for a Survivor Pool, but the Texans will rise on this list if Titans QB Marcus Mariota can't go and it's Blaine Gabbert. Few teams were hit harder by Week 1 injuries than Tennessee.
11. Washington vs. Indianapolis: Andrew Luck looked very good in his return from shoulder injury for the Colts, but they still can't stop anyone or run the ball much. I'm not sure if Washington is any good or the Redskins simply beat up on a bad Arizona team in Week 1. Likely somewhere in the middle.
10. Chicago vs. Seattle (Monday): The Bears did show some first-half signs of being offensively interesting for the first time in years in the Green Bay loss. And Mack is a freak. There's no sugarcoating that Nagy blew the Green Bay game with some terrible play-calling in the second half. Here's hoping he learned from that. Seattle is down Doug Baldwin and might have the NFL's worst offensive line west of Buffalo.
9. LA Chargers at Buffalo: Only reason I don't have this higher is that those 1 p.m. ET start times worry me for West Coast teams. Plus, that supposedly excellent Bolts defense clearly misses injured Joey Bosa. Can't see L.A. losing this game but do think it will be closer than expected.
8. Pittsburgh vs. Kansas City: Yes, the Steelers looked pretty bad in Sunday's tie, but the weather surely played a role in those six turnovers. Also, check out Ben Roethlisberger's home/road splits the past several years. He's a different guy at Ketchup Field.
7. Philadelphia at Tampa Bay: I don't much trust Nick Foles, but the Eagles are on extra rest and there's little chance of another dose of Fitzmagic this week for the Bucs.
6. Dallas vs. NY Giants: The Sunday night game, because these two always play on Sunday night. Neither looked good offensively in Week 1 - Saquon Barkley might be a stud, but the Giants are going to regret not taking a QB high in the 2018 draft because Eli Manning truly sucks.
5. Atlanta vs. Carolina: Falcons have lost two of their best defensive players to IR, but they are on extra rest and the Panthers will sorely miss injured tight end Greg Olsen.
4. New England at Jacksonville: Rematch of the AFC title game. Even if Leonard Fournette plays for Jags with that hamstring injury, he's likely to be limited. Highly doubt Blake Bortles can beat the Patriots on his own.
3. Cincinnati vs. Baltimore (Thursday): I'd go bet a ton on this game … and probably will. Everyone is giddy over the Ravens following Week 1, but people just don't realize how freaking sorry that Bills roster is.
2. NY Jets vs. Miami:
Think Jets fans are glad the Giants passed on Sam Darnold?
1. Minnesota at Green Bay: I'm presuming Rodgers will play but won't be able to move around much. If he doesn't play, jump Vikings up to at least 11 ("these go to 11").
Want free NFL picks? Doc's has you covered. New clients can take advantage of this great offer of $60 in free Doc's Sports members' picks for any handicapper on Doc's Expert Handicapper list. Just check out these guys' pages and see what great work they have done making money for themselves and their clients over the years. Get $60 worth of premium members' picks free . Also, get three handicappers for the price of one when you sign up for a full-season football package! Click Here for details . Get free NFL picks weekly on Doc's Sports free football picks page.
Most Recent NFL Survivor Pool Articles
- NFL Survivor and Confidence Pool Picks and Advice: Week 17
- NFL Survivor and Confidence Pool Picks and Advice: Week 16
- NFL Survivor and Confidence Pool Picks and Advice: Week 15
- NFL Survivor and Confidence Pool Picks and Advice: Week 14
- NFL Survivor and Confidence Pool Picks and Advice: Week 13
- NFL Survivor and Confidence Pool Picks and Advice: Week 12
- Week 11 Survivor Pool Picks from Captain and the Big Man
- NFL Survivor and Confidence Pool Picks and Advice: Week 11
- Week 10 Survivor Pool Picks from Captain and the Big Man
- NFL Survivor and Confidence Pool Picks and Advice: Week 10