by Joseph Mattern - 01/13/2006
The Super Bowl is right around the corner, and that means Super Bowl Parties will be going on around the nation. Super Bowl Parties mean the three F's: football, food and fun. Hopefully the game will be exciting and you'll have lots of fun, but let's focus on the Super Bowl Food. Whether you're hosting the festivities or going to a friend's house, here are some "A-Game" Super Bowl recipes to ensure you'll keep them coming back for more. Check out these great recipes from CooksRecipes.com. You'll want to start out with some dips for chips, and then move on to finger foods and sandwiches.
Get $60 in FREE Member Picks
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon taco seasoning mix
1 cup prepared guacamole
1 cup tomato-based salsa
1 cup shredded lettuce
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1 (2-ounce) can sliced black olives
1. Mix cream cheese and seasoning mix. Spread on bottom of 9-inch pie pan. Layer guacamole, salsa, lettuce, cheese, onions and olives over cream cheese mixture.
2. Serve immediately. Refrigerate any remaining dip.
3. Serve with tortilla chips.
1 (9 to 11-ounce) package frozen spinach
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 clove garlic, minced
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1. Cook spinach according to package directions. Drain thoroughly.
2. Place all ingredients in blender and process until smooth. Chill several hours before serving with vegetables or chips. For a milder dip, mix in a little cottage cheese before serving.
Yield: 1 2/3 cups.
Corn and Black Bean Salsa
2 cups frozen corn kernels
1/2 cup black beans, rinsed
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons diced red pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and deveined
1 tablespoon fresh, chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon fresh lime OR lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
1. Combine corn, black beans and remaining ingredients in medium size bowl, except fresh parsley and cilantro. Cover and refrigerate.
2. Bring to room temperature before serving and add freshly chopped parsley and cilantro.
3. Serve with tortilla chips.
Makes 8 servings.
3/4 cup mashed ripe avocado (about 1 medium)
1/2 cup grated fresh jicama
1/3 cup frozen white corn kernels, thawed
2 tablespoons minced green onions, white and green parts
1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro leaves
1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, or to taste
1 teaspoon Asian chili sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. In a mixing bowl, combine avocado and jicama.
2. Add the corn kernels to the avocado along with the remaining ingredients. Mix thoroughly.
Makes 1 1/2 cups
6 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/4 cup hot red pepper sauce
18 chicken wings (about 3 pounds), disjointed with tips discarded
Vegetable oil, for frying
Bleu Cheese dressing for accompaniment
1. Melt butter in a small cooksrecipes.com. Add hot sauce and remove from the heat. Set aside.
2. In large frying pan or deep-fat fryer, heat 1-inch of oil to 360*F (180*C). Fry wings in batches, without crowding, for about 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
3. Brush wings with spicy butter mixture and serve warm, with bleu cheese dressing for dipping.
Makes 36 appetizers.
Extra Point Mini Pizzas
24 baked whole wheat wafers
6 (3/4-ounce each) thin slices LAND O LAKES® American OR Chederalla® cheese, quartered
2 to 4 tablespoons pizza sauce
24 thin slices pepperoni
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Place wafers on baking sheet; layer each with 1 slice cheese, 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pizza sauce and 1 slice pepperoni. Bake for 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Makes 24 servings.
TIP: Microwave on microwave-safe plate on HIGH for 30 to 45 seconds.
Spicy Party Meatballs
1 (12-ounce) jar cocktail sauce
1 (10.5-ounce) jar jalapeño jelly.
1/4 cup minced sweet onion (Walla Walla Sweet, Maui)
1/2 (3-pound) package frozen cooked meatballs
1. Cook first 3 ingredients in a Dutch Oven over medium heat, stirring until jelly melts and mixture is smooth.
2. Stir in meatballs. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 35 to 40 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Makes 8 dozen.
Italian Submarine Sandwich
These sandwiches are perfect for a build-your-own party. Just lay out the salami, prosciutto, provolone, lettuce and tomatoes and let them have at it. An easy dinner that's a crowd pleaser, too.
4 tablespoons mayonnaise
4 Italian rolls, split
1 (8-ounce) package salami, sliced
1 (8-ounce) package prosciutto, sliced
1 (8-ounce) package ham, sliced
1 (8-ounce) package provolone, sliced
1 bunch romaine leaves
2 roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
1 cup sliced black olives
1 (12-ounce) jar pepperoncinis, sliced
4 tablespoons mustard
1. Spread mayonnaise on the bottom of each roll. Layer with salami, prosciutto, ham and provolone. Top with 2 romaine leaves and 1/4 of the tomato. Sprinkle with black olives and pepperoncinis. Spread mustard on the top of each roll. Close the sandwich and serve with pasta salad.
Makes 4 servings.
Pigs in a Blanket
1 (1/4-ounce) package active dry yeast.
1/3 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
2/3 cup warm milk (110*F to 115*F / 45*C)
1/3 cup warm water (110*F to 115*F / 45*C)
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons shortening, melted
1 teaspoon salt
3 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
10 hot dogs
2 slices processed American Cheese
1. In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in milk and water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add egg, shortening, salt, remaining sugar and enough flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
2. Cut a 1/4-inch deep lengthwise slit in each hot dog. Cut cheese slices into five strips; place one strip in the slit of each hot dog.
3. Punch dough down; divide into 10 portions. Roll each into a 5 x 2 1/2-inch rectangle and wrap around prepared hot dogs; pinch seam and ends to seal. Place seam-side down on greased baking sheets; let rise for 30 minutes.
4. Bake at 350*F (175*C) for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown.
Makes 10 servings.
These Super Bowl Recipes should be a good start to a terrific Super Bowl Sunday. Also, don't be shy about enlisting your friends to bring their favorite dishes and drinks. That way, you won't be stuck preparing all the food, and you may even discover some great new recipes. Even if the game is a bust, with delicious Super Bowl recipes like these, your party won't be. Have fun, be careful, and good luck!!