Monday Night Football NFL Picks: Broncos at Chargers Betting Odds
by Nicholas Tolomeo - 11/22/2010
An AFC West showcase on Monday Night Football also presents a showcase of two of the league’s top passers. But the reason that Denver’s Kyle Orton and San Diego’s Phillip Rivers are two of the elite passers in the league is because they are usually playing from behind.
Both teams enter Monday night’s game in San Diego at 8:30 p.m. EST with losing records. The Chargers (4-5) are heavy favorites against the struggling Broncos (3-6).
Get $60 in FREE Member Picks
As Week 11 approaches many are still claiming the AFC West as San Diego’s division to lose. That is despite the fact they trail both Kansas City and Oakland in the standings. But the reason many are expecting San Diego to snap out of this midseason slump is the play of Rivers.
Rivers has passed for 2,944 yards already this season. He is on pace to break Dan Marino’s single-season passing record. He has a 102.9 quarterback rating on the season, a completion percentage of 65.3 percent and has thrown 19 touchdowns compared to eight interceptions.
He has received little help. His receiving corps seems to be by committee with everyone from tight end Antonio Gates to relative unknown Seyi Ajirotutu contributing. The San Diego offense ranks first in total yards and first in passing, although it’s only 16th in rushing.
These Chargers can play defense too. They have the second best defense in terms of total yards and third in passing yards allowed, but they are still allowing 21.9 points per game, 17th in the league. San Diego opponents have been able to take advantage of turnovers and poor special teams performances.
Denver can put up points too. Their passing offense is second in the league only to San Diego. But they have the worst rushing attack in football at 76.8 yards per game, which is very unlike Denver tradition. Defensively they have been gashed on the ground for 143 yards per game.
Broncos at Chargers Betting Odds and Line Moves
The Chargers opened as 9.5-point favorites, according to NFL odds, and the line climbed to 10 points during most of the week before settling back down to 9.5 points. The total has climbed up consistently from 48 points all the way to 50 points. NFL odds are courtesy of Sportsbook.com.
Denver Broncos at San Diego Chargers Trends
Denver is 1-4 ATS in their last five games overall
Denver is 2-8 ATS in their last 10 vs. the AFC
Chargers are 5-0 ATS in their last five games in November
Chargers are 0-3-1 ATS vs. a team with a losing record
Favorite is 5-1-1 ATS in the last seven meetings
‘Over’ is 6-2 in the last eight meetings
Chargers are 6-1-1 in their last eight meetings
Monday Night Football NFL Picks: Denver Broncos at San Diego Chargers
An offensive explosion appears to be on tap for Monday night. Both teams can throw the ball and throw it effectively, but many seem to overlook the pass defenses. Both defenses are strong against the pass but weak against the run. It is unlikely that San Diego and Denver will try and reinvent the wheel Monday night and play smash mouth football. Both offenses will play to their strengths, but will also be throwing into the teeth of their opponents’ defense. The play here is the ‘under’.
Most Recent Monday Night Football Picks Articles
- Monday Football Predictions: Pittsburgh Steelers at Houston Texans Odds & Picks
- Monday Night Football Predictions: Atlanta Falcons at Tampa Bay Buccaneers Odds & Picks
- Monday Night Football Predictions: New England Patriots at Miami Dolphins Odds & Picks
- Monday Night Football Predictions: Pittsburgh Steelers at Cincinnati Bengals Odds & Picks
- Monday Night Football Predictions: Houston Texans at Baltimore Ravens Odds & Picks
- Monday Night Football Predictions: Atlanta Falcons at Seattle Seahawks Odds & Picks
- Monday Night Football Predictions: Miami Dolphins at Carolina Panthers Odds & Picks
- Monday Night Football Predictions: Detroit Lions at Green Bay Packers Odds & Picks
- Monday Night Football Predictions: Denver Broncos at Kansas City Chiefs Odds & Picks
- Monday Night Football Predictions: Washington Redskins at Philadelphia Eagles Odds & Picks